1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Late SGL5 pics - star trails, early milky way and sunset

Been very hectic since I got back from SGL5 so not been around much. Only just getting round to having a look at my pics.

Here's a star trails shot taken on Saturday night. It's taken with a Canon 1000D and an 8mm fisheye. Unfortunately I had to crop it a little because the dew strap had crept up to the edge of the lens.

I was observing Saturn at the time through an ED120 and forgot I had my head torch on!

The second pic was from Thursday night at sunset. The River Wye flows by the site and it was so peaceful on the bank. I just set up the camera and kept shooting. I liked the reflection of the moon and venus in the water.

Finally my first ever widefield Milky Way shot. It was very low down, just creeping above the hills and I was really just trying to capture the star field. This is in the direction of Lyra using an Astrotrac. Tokina 16-50mm lens fairly wide. Not much cop but looking forward to finding to photogenic backgrounds for more Milky Way shots this Summer

post-12794-133877444907_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877444914_thumb.jpg

post-12794-133877444919_thumb.jpg

Cracking star trails picture!

I really like the ones with Polaris, it's a nice reminder that it's not quite true north and this illustrates it really well

A great series of lovely shots Martin!

Quite a lot of bobbing around at the eyepiece from the looks of that red light! Can I ask what the very faint series of faint (horizontal) lines are (in the sky background) on the star trails shot are...?

The second 'reflection shot' would make a great print out for the wall too.... perfectly sums up the ambience of the location on that Thursday evening....

And finally, any chance you could forward some details on the AstroTrac shot please (?) - number of exposures (and stacking if any), ISO and duration used..... tips on polar alignment, just for future reference!

Did you use a power pack or AA batteries, and lastly (just because I'm still sorting out the extras!) what heads you went for on your AstroTrac set-up....

Thanks in advance, clear skies,

Damian

A great series of lovely shots Martin!

And finally, any chance you could forward some details on the AstroTrac shot please (?) - number of exposures (and stacking if any), ISO and duration used..... tips on polar alignment, just for future reference!

Did you use a power pack or AA batteries, and lastly (just because I'm still sorting out the extras!) what heads you went for on your AstroTrac set-up....

Thanks in advance, clear skies,

Damian

Hi Damian

The Milky Way Shot was at around F5.6 6x5min exposures ISO 800. I forgot to collect darks:rolleyes:

I used the polar scope for the alignment. It's a very nice scope but I need more practice with it for longer focal lengths. I was using a power pack. Manfrotto 410 geared head which is fine for a camera with small to medium lens but not up to heavier weights. On top of the Astrotrac I have a 3 way head but am going to change this to a ball head - quicker, easier and greater load capacity.

I'm still very much a novice!

I think this shot really captures the atmosphere of a cold night under the stars!

Can I ask what the very faint series of faint (horizontal) lines are (in the sky background) on the star trails shot are...?

I've read that the 1000D can produce noticeable moiré patterns like this.