Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope from William Optics

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a WO FLT 98se and its a fine scope. (See the pictures below). It has a certified strehl ratio of 0.972 and the focuser on it is beautiful. I use it mostly as a grab and go scope for visual use on an Astro Tech Voyager mount supplied by Orion Optics. (Not shown in this picture). I also have the Meade 5000 series 127mm APO...and that too is a fine scope and without question is worth every penny in my mind.....it would benefit from a Moonlite focuser, but its not a necessity.

I personally couldn't see the advantages of the DDG focuser that WO have come out with. Unfortunately it simply seems like a gimick from WO in an effort to sell more scopes. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was for the benefit of astro-photographers in order to achieve consistant and exacting focal settings night after night, but I very much doubt anyone using this for AP would simply go from a readout on a digital guage without visually checking the focus first hand, especially if the focuser itself is of such poor quality.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

post-19495-133877445639_thumb.jpg

post-19495-133877445674_thumb.jpg

post-19495-133877445678_thumb.jpg

Archived