Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Planet ceases trading

I'm no expert in the law but I have successfully used the Small Claims procedure. You asked for the papers to be served at the address which you had access to. I think you have therefore done all you can. The fact that he has not responded is not your fault. I would just let it go through to the court and await the judgment.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strnagely they still have an ad in this month's S@N, but only a 1 pager. Must have gone in before they 'ceased trading'. Wonder how many unsuspecting people will try phoing them based on the add?

Ive not recieved a response from TP so Im asking the court to make a judgment. Its giving me the option to change the defendants address and it's occured to me Simon Heard might not be collecting his mail so does anybody know of another address I could use?

you do need to make sure that you have named the correct party in the claim form otherwise when you come to enforce the judgment through the county court bailiffs (which is no doubt what it will come to) they won't be able to do it and you will find that you are also carrying the court fees and the bailiff's fees. the defendant must be a legal entity, ie a company, a partnership or an individual, not merely a "trading name".

A Quick update - Simon Heard was bankrupted on 11the May at Bury St Edmunds County Court. The case is being handled by Ipswich Official Receiver and Mr Heard is now listed as unemployed.

PS - as he is now officially insolvent his affairs are being handled by the Reciever. I got a judgement against him last week and have asked for the bailiffs to enforce it. But I doubt whether this will get my money back as I think the Receiver will probably pay everybody off in the usual pecking order - if there's anything left to pay with!

I need some advise! Ive no idea what to do now?

I used moneyclaim.gov.uk and paid my £25 to pursue simon heard for my money. I paid my £25 and the courts sent the claim to TP, the address I used was TP's business address. He's had his time to respond but Ive got nothing, the Moneyclaim site is down at the minute for service so I cant check until monday. The next step online is to enter judgement but is this going to go anywhere?? Should I have used his home address and if so can I change it?

Im really wondering what my chances of getting anything back are now, but I issued the claim before "Telescope Planet temporary have Ceased Trading until Further Notice" so does that count for anything?

Anyone have any ideas what I should do??

As you will see I've been through the same process of making a claim against TP. I also have a claim about to get to the judgement stage against Simon Heard personally. I have used his personal address for the second one. However, events have moved on since I actioned the second claim and Mr Heard is no longer living at that address permanently. There is an option to enter further detail when you ask for judgement and at that point with the first claim, (against TP), I put in the personal address. I intend to do the same with the second claim and enter the "last known address" which is in Suffolk. If you send me a personal message I can give you this. The bankruptcy proceedings are being administered from Ipswich and I am currently awaiting a mail back from the Insolvency Service as what my next move should be. Will keep you posted.

The Money Claim On-line site is now back up, but they have amalgamated it into the Government Gateway, so you will need to follow the links and set up a new account to import your claims into the new site.

Good luck

Scopes'n'Skies, Pulsar Optical and Astro Engineering are all part of The Astronomy and Nature Centre and have nothing to do with TP. While their service was abysmal in the past they finally seem to be making an effort to turn things around (still not up to the consistent standards of the top astro dealers yet though).

John

phew, thanks, for some reason I thought there were three in the group.

Three companies? You're probably thinking of the "Astronomy & Nature Centre" group itself, which is:

- Scopes 'n' Skies

- Pulsar Optical, and

- Astro Engineering

These companies are not related to Telescope Planet.

• 2 weeks later...
The bankruptcy proceedings are being administered from Ipswich and I am currently awaiting a mail back from the Insolvency Service as what my next move should be. Will keep you posted.

Anyone needing to make a claim against Telescope Planet for non-return of payment should E-mail Mr Daniel Newman at Ipswich Insolvency Service, daniel.newman@insolvency.gsi.gov.uk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this has been posted already, please ignore me if it has.....many people know that you are covered for credit card purchases, but if you have a VISA debit card and bought from Telescope Planet on this card then you can dispute the claim and get your money back. Even if the company has closed, liquidated, insolvent, what have you, VISA is bound to refund you under some or other agreement regardless of what other creditors are waiting for payment and regardless of whether there is money in their account or not. TP owed me £400, I started the process on 11th May 2010 with HSBC and got my money back today! :D

I hope this helps somebody who thought there might not be hope before.

Yes I made a claim on my Barclaycard for £90 and was refunded in less than two weeks. (Still didn't get my Sky Scout freebie cards though, a small price to pay)

• 1 month later...

Wow. I almost made my first telescope purchase of my new hobby with Telescope Planet a couple of months ago. I'm glad I didn't now!

However their website is still up and running. Any idea why it hasn't been clearly updated with details of the administrators/insolvency practitioners?

most likley slipped their minds and the fact that it would cost to alter the web site.

i do think the web page should be shut down though, that costs next to nothing.

good to see that S@N have stopped the adverts

It won't have slipped his mind - he doesn't have the funds to change anything as the latest news on Telescope Planet shows. The Insolvency Service has interviewed Simon Heard and the upshot is that nobody gets anything. I've zipped the letter and posted it here (link removed) - it's a PDF document. Seems Simon Heard only had £17,500 worth of stock to support a £327,000 debt - no wonder TP went under. Makes interesting reading. And he can do it all again next year........ shucks!!

Archived