Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Planet ceases trading

I was wondering when this would happen. They owe me a Sky Scout card for which I have been waiting for around 4 weeks. I spoke to the owner and he promised ....

Tonight their website is down with a notice

"Telescope Planet temporary have Ceased Trading until Further Notice"

I really hope that there are not too many people whose money they have.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't suppose this will have any effect on the time it takes to answer their phone though.

The last time I managed to get through was by phoning the main man on his mobile phone, that was after 10 attempts at getting through on the land line.

They owe my as well a 0.5 focal reducer, dont think il get that then

just like XL AIRWAYS LAST CHRISTMAS they owed me £2500 WHEN THEY WENT BUST didnt get that as well

am sick of this happing to me !!!!!!

am sick of this happing to me !!!!!!

Well you can't stop firms going bust, but if you use a credit card (NOT a debit card) then at least you won't lose financially - the card company will absorb the hit.

As far as i am aware if you as a customer have already paid for goods in a store that then closes down.............that you are STILL entitled to get those goods given to you or a complete refund.

Contact your local consumers rights association group on they can tell you more.

Well you can't stop firms going bust, but if you use a credit card (NOT a debit card) then at least you won't lose financially - the card company will absorb the hit.

That is true. IF you used a credit card for the purchase of the goods..........you are covered. The CC company will take the hit on your behalf.

As far as i am aware if you as a customer have already paid for goods in a store that then closes down.............that you are STILL entitled to get those goods given to you or a complete refund.

No, in England/Wales/Northern Ireland (not sure about Scotland) you're an unsecured creditor, if there is any money left after the receiver has paid secured creditors (banks) & his own expenses then you may get a partial payout. Don't count on getting anything, and don't hold your breath whilst waiting, any payout will likely be 12-18 months in coming through. You will also have to register your claim with the receiver, they will not know you are owed money from the books of the defaulting company.

The rules about debit cards have recently changed and you should now be able to get your money back even if you paid with a debit card.

The following little known fact might not apply to anything from Telescope Planet but it's still useful to know:

When purchased with a credit card if the product had a guarantee from the business that went bust the credit card company has to honour that guarantee if the actual manufacturer refuses to do so (extended guarantee or special shop guarantee etc.). Of course you would have to be able to produce written proof of the guarantee.

John

No, in England/Wales/Northern Ireland (not sure about Scotland) you're an unsecured creditor, if there is any money left after the receiver has paid secured creditors (banks) & his own expenses then you may get a partial payout. Don't count on getting anything, and don't hold your breath whilst waiting, any payout will likely be 12-18 months in coming through. You will also have to register your claim with the receiver, they will not know you are owed money from the books of the defaulting company.

Oh OK. I know the laws are different here in the ROI.

The notice says 'Thank you for your customer' they can't even get that right.

You're jumping ahead :p even the very first line is wrong:

"Telescope Planet have temporary Ceased Trading until Further Notice"

Not sure about that weird capitalisation either - but still, bigger things to worry about at this time I guess.

"Please email simon@telescopeplanet.co.uk"

Oh yeah - that'll work :D

Had a feeling this was going to happen considering I've been ringing them regularly the past 4 weeks with very little response. I'm waiting for a couple of Sky Scout cards to go with the Sky Scout and bought a Laser finderscope a month which hasn't arrived. The answer was always 'we are expecting a delivery in a few days' when someone did pick up the phone. I guess its been very trying circumstances for the floor staff I dealt with as its not their fault, I believe they were working as hard as they could and are probably now looking for another job. I did go to the place 3 months ago to get my original scope and was hoping to trade up with the ex-demo 6SE I originally bought, I guess that wont happen now and I'll have to start trying to get back my £100.

I wonder how much stock they are carrying? Presumably, if they were a big enough outfit, they would have some stock of scopes etc, which are now in the hands of 'official receiver'. They'll want to liquidate assets to pay creditors - sooo, possibility there could be some cheap scopes coming onto the market...maybe!?

I guess its been very trying circumstances for the floor staff I dealt with as its not their fault, I believe they were working as hard as they could and are probably now looking for another job.

Not the fault of the floor staff?

Those were the very people who were meant to answer the phone, check stock levels, ship the correct goods to the correct customers, and return calls.

It's hardly difficult.

Archived