Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sets of eyepieces, filters for C100 ED refractor

I've just taken delivery of a Celestron C100ED refractor :p*colour me excited!* ;) - got to wait a month to use it though as it's officially designated a birthday present by my dearest :)

Now ... the old eyepieces with my old 2.4" are a motley, rattly and dusty old assortment of Huygens jobbies that came long ago with that scope, though I have a Kellner 9mm and an AH40mm in there which I may try out

I want to buy some new Plossls to complement the 20mm which comes with the telescope, also some filters, possibly a barlow, also some reasonable carrying case to keep them reasonably safe.

This …

Eyepiece Sets - Celestron Eyeopener Eyepiece and Filter Kit

... caught my eye, what's the general quality and value for money of that set, does anyone have any strong opinion ?

Otherwise, going by the sticky on eyepiece selection in these very forums; a spread of individual Plossls such as 6, 9 or 12, and 32 seems reasonable plus a moon filter and a selection of planetaries, but the cost stacks up real quick. I think perhaps I'm wondering if I would get better quality eyepieces by speccing individually or are those in that kit pretty good anyhow ? Plus it has a decent case :)

Indeed, theres also :

Eyepiece Sets - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Hmmmm :D

I'm also further down the line going to obtain a set of RA/dec drives for the CG-5 mount, I believe the EQ-5 set is compatible. :)

Dave

I have the Celestron set. Can't use the two smallest e/p's - they're just too small to look through and annoy the hell out of me. I've heard good reports of the Revelation set and wish I'd got them instead. Great value for money apparently.

I may be floggin the Celestron set soon cos I've upgraded to 2" e/p's anyway. Hope I've helped :D

I have the Celestron EP kit also. I think they are pretty good quality EP's and the images are sharp through them. As brant said...the 2 smallest EP's (4mm,6mm) are a bit small to use effectively but i am getting on ok with my 6mm ep and my new 130P scope.

The kit 2x Barlow lens is not very good at all. I have replaced it with a TAL 2x barlow.

The 32mm ep in the kit is amazing. Its my favourite ep.

I also have only read good things about the Revelation EP kit. Essentially they are almost the same kit but the Revelation kit just has the edge.

Dave,

DON'T buy the Celestron kit.

The C100ED is an F9 telescope. This makes the Revelation kit a perfect match - and what's more - at F9 it means that you're unlikely to get superior results to the Revelation Plossls even if you spent considerably more money on eyepieces. Furthermore, the "Revelation" (actually "Guan Sheng Optical") Plossls are well-made and satisfying to use.

Unlike the Celestron kit, for your particular scope the Revelation Kit's focal length choices are ideal. You've got five focal lengths taking you up to the ideal 1:1 ratio (100x mag) of the 9mm Plossl - the smallest Plossl that's comfortable to use (see brantuk's earlier comments about 6 and 4mm).

Then, when you want to crank things up a bit, drop in the barlow to give you 7.5mm, 6mm, and 4.5mm - with comfortable eye-relief - at which point, your scope's maxed-out to the limit (that's why this kit is a good match)

The 20mm Plossl hits the ~2mm exit-pupil sweet-spot with your scope - the point which many people think provides the most satisfying deep-sky views, and the 32mm Photo-Visual Projection eyepiece is one of my favourite eyepieces.

In summary, unlike the Celestron Kit, everything in the Revelation kit is of use to you - and provides top-class results in an F9 scope.

Should you decide to buy the Revelation Eyepiece Kit, make sure that you buy the Photo-Visual one as it comes with a Barlow: There is another version of the kit that has a "standard" 32mm Plossl (not the nice "Projection" one) and comes with a 6mm Plossl instead of the Barlow. You'll not want that version - you want the Photo-Visual one with the Barlow.

Happy Birthday in advance and congratulations on the choice of an excellent telescope!

Glad we all agree then that the Revelation kit is the better choice. Good technical info there bear. Should make the choice easy.

Also just to add to the equation. SDepending on where you live and how much light pollution you have, you may think about investing in a light pollution filter. Very handy piece of kit.

P.S.~~Happy Birthday. I think you should take the scope for a test drive before your birthday just to check that it works properly. It would not be fair on your other half if on your b-day you opened it up and tried it out and it is faulty.

*wink*

Thats great info from GreatBear - and I'm pretty well decided now - my Celestron kit's going up for sale at the weekend - but I'll be hanging on to the impressive bit - the case lol (for my w/o binoviewers if they ever materialise).

Yes, I agree with all of that..I had the Revelation kit, and the Photo visual ep is Televue standard quality, it's that good. If you could afford to go for individual Televue Plossls, these would have the edge, but the Revelations are good, similar to the Meade 4000 series which used to be (maybe still are?) made by GSO..

The ED100R is a fab scope too, just sold mine this week, only because I have the chance of a 6" F12 frac...otherwise I'd have kept it!

Happy Birthday!

Dave

Thanks for the illuminating replies :D Great info chaps !

Well, I predict FLO will be receiving an order for the P-V Revelation set, which also I notice has a camera T thread, something else for future activities :p

cheers & thanks ;)

Dave

p.s. Hey Dave (F15..there's loads of Dave's on here it seems!) I see from your siggy you have a Prinz 660 refractor, my old 2.4" one is a Prinz Astral 500, from Dixons, always assumed its typical dept store quality but it has given me much pleasure, had it out last night peering at Saturn through thick cloud ! What's the story behind Prinz ?

Thats great info from GreatBear - and I'm pretty well decided now - my Celestron kit's going up for sale at the weekend - but I'll be hanging on to the impressive bit - the case lol (for my w/o binoviewers if they ever materialise).

I am kinda thinking of selling my Celestron EP kit now also and replacing it with the Revelation kit.

I bought the Celestron kit because i was friendly with a guy who works for the main Celestron dealer here in Ireland and he saved me a few euro on the cost............and also because my firstscope was a Celestron scope bought from the same place.

IF (and i doubt it) that i fail to sell my Celestrons..............i think i will still go ahead and buy the Revelation kit.

I am a stand alone astronomer. I am not a member of any local club so i really have no outlet to try any gear before i buy it or any contact with others (my choice...............i dont the whole club thing).

Here's my question to great_bear (cuz he seems to know his stuff):

My scope is 130mm (Objective) and the F/L is 650mm. It is rated as an f5 scope.

Would the Revelation kit be suitable for this scope?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.~~brant if you want to sell your Celestrons this week....................go ahead and do so. I will not undercut you on selling mine. I am more then happy to wait until you sell yours until i put mine up for sale.

Here's my question to great_bear (cuz he seems to know his stuff):

My scope is 130mm (Objective) and the F/L is 650mm. It is rated as an f5 scope.

Would the Revelation kit be suitable for this scope?

Unfortunately, in an F5 scope (my wife's has the same mirror as yours), I find the astigmatism inherent in the Plossl design to be annoying (stars turn into seagull shapes at the edge-of-field).

It goes away when you use the barlow - and some might not even notice it anyway. However, at F5 you'll always get better results with eyepieces designed to cope - such as the (expensive) premium widefield eyepieces or the TeleVue Plossls, whose patented design is tweaked spedifically to give excellent results in fast scopes.

Unfortunately, in an F5 scope (my wife's has the same mirror as yours), I find the astigmatism inherent in the Plossl design to be annoying (stars turn into seagull shapes at the edge-of-field).

It goes away when you use the barlow - and some might not even notice it anyway. However, at F5 you'll always get better results with eyepieces designed to cope - such as the (expensive) premium widefield eyepieces or the TeleVue Plossls, whose patented design is tweaked spedifically to give excellent results in fast scopes.

See thats the thing. OK lets say i am a complete newbie (which i am with regards to using telescopes). When i have something in my FOV i simply am not worried about how it looks around the edges of my FOV. I have the object centred and that is the area i focus on.

If i want to observe the same object at it edge..............i simply move my scope until that area is centred in my FOV.

If i want to observe the same object at it edge..............i simply move my scope until that area is centred in my FOV.

Yes, a lot of people are happy doing that - actually some widefield eyepieces require you to do that, or you get image blackout.

I'm not saying my EP's blur towrds the edges................maybe they do...maybe they dont (but they are cheap kit leses so i assume they do)

I am just saying that my concentration is in the centre of the EPs so i simply have never noticed if if exists or not.

Archived