SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are there any defects about Solar System?

There is no a perfect theory, it must be some defects and contradictions, for every theory has defects, what we consider perfect nowadays maybe will be imperfect tomorrow,so Are there any defects or contradictions in regard to Copernicus' Theory or Earth Revolution (solar system) ?

History, the passgae of time, and modern computational techniques have shown that there are many fundamental flaws with Copernican heliocentric theory. However, at its time it was a revolutionary piece of work which set the building blocks for modern Astronomy. This theory showed that it was possible to explain the motion of the planets with the sun at the centre of the 'universe' and not the earth and explained the retrograde motion of planets for the first time.

Copernicus himself knew that if the earth rotated then the stars, but his theory still had an outer sphere of stationary stars, just one of many flaws.

What is your stance on this, July. Science and philosophy have come a long way since Copernicus' time and we know that there are many mistakes within the theory.

Steve..

Thanks Steve,

I'm convinced of Solar System absolutely,but I think there's something wrong or ambiguous in this theory.You said "there are many mistakes within the theory"...Could you please remind or give me some of them.

July,

Here are three to get you started, but the beauty of a debate is that all of the parties need to join in. You clearly have something "bothering" you about this very ancient theory, please tell us what it is and perhaps this thread can go somewhere.:D

1. The Sun is not the geometric center of the planets' orbits

2. The center of gravity of the Solar System is not quite at the centre of the sun.

3. The stars are not all placed on a stationary sphere at the edge of the solar system.

Take a look at, it gives a good potted history http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/DawnClassrooms/1_hist_dawn/history_discovery/Exploration/fb_outside_box.pdf

What are your views?

Steve..

Copernicus based his theory on circular motions and had to retain Ptolemaic epicycles. Clearly wrong. He also believed the universe to be finite, enclosed by the traditional sphere of fixed stars. Wrong again. In fact there's an awful lot wrong with his theory, as Kepler realised. But he got it right about putting the Sun in the centre. Or is that maybe your issue?

2. The center of gravity of the Solar System is not quite at the centre of the sun.

Really? There's a fact I never knew

I take it it's very close though, given that more than 99% of the solar systems combined mass is el sol

Really? There's a fact I never knew

I take it it's very close though, given that more than 99% of the solar systems combined mass is el sol

It is very close, but, the difference is the "wobble" they use to detect exoplanets in some instances.

Steve

Gravitationally the solar system is a multi-body problem and therefore still impossible to solve, I would have thought? Maybe the chaos theorists have something to say about it? It only takes the random displacement of a minor asteroid to shift the system's centre of gravity by what Humphrey Littleton would have called a Gnat's Crotchet!

Olly

July, maybe you're wondering if there's a modern-day equivalent of the anomalous precession of Mercury (which was explained by general relativity). There isn't, that I'm aware of, though the "Pioneer anomaly" is touted by some as indicating a problem with gravity. On a larger scale there is the "anomalous" motion of galaxy clusters that is conventionally explained by dark matter.

Pioneer anomaly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or maybe July could speak up and state what the issue/problem is they have with the current theaory, and we could then discuss it. No point us guessing what that issue is, so speak up and obtain the answers and details you are looking for.

Archived