740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

26 April Saturn

TheThing

Whilst not as good as most of the pictures here, I'm quite pleased with these results.

First time of photographing Saturn and had a little success with the Tal x2 Barlow. Tracking was out as I started before dark and before Polaris was out. I was just waiting for the moon to clear next door's trees.

Taken with a Meade LPi thru the 6", F5 Newt. Only between 100 and 150 frames stacked automatically by Autosuite. Better tracking wuld have given me more time to take lots more frames, but that's part of the learning curve!

Saturn2010-04-26a1.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a2.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a3.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a4.jpg

Most importantly it was fun!

Hi Thing - as good as my first Saturns about 18 months or so ago!:(

I don't know what sort of mount you're using but I feel if you have one with a handcontroller then really accurate PA isn't a central issue, as a reasonable alignment and use of the h/controller can easily keep your image centred onscreen.....which makes me think - does the LPI involve projecting your image onto a laptop etc screen..?!?:(

From your images I'd reckon your focus was around the money (keeping focussing and refocussing untill you get the sharpest definition of the rings - at the moment they'll appear as a sharp line cutting the planet disk at smaller scales like your images)

Your gain is a bit high however (again with the LPI I have no idea of the capture controls) as you can see by the brightness of the image overpowering any possible detail.....but it is why you HAVE CAPTURED several moons in a couple of the images (most noticeably the last image:headbang:)

Often moons and best detail/resolution on the actual planet don't go hand-in-hand.....the gain needed to bring out the planet's best resolution isn't enough to make the moons appear unless you play with levels etc in post-processing.....

But for a first time effort you have done well and are on the road....!;):icon_salut::)

Thank you kindly, sir!

I'm using a Tal motorised pillar which doesn't come with a hand contoller. You just line it up and turn the motor on! In this case PA seems to be pretty important (from what I can tell). The LPi projects the image straight onto a computer screen and with the PA being off Saturn was slowly creeping towards the edge of the LPi FOV!

The LPi seems to automatically adjust the gain depending on what you tell it you're imaging. I've not dabbled in adjusting it yet, but next tiem I'll try turning it down as you suggest. Some planetary detail would be nice! I might also experiment with shooting it thru a couple of filters to see if that brings it out at all.

Focus seems a little out, but I think I managed to unscrew the parfocal ring on my EP that night as later attempts at the moon were way out. I have readjusted it though so focus should be better in future.

It's quite a learning curve (even with a basic webcam!) and I'm not quite up to the standards of some (well, most!) on this forum, but I'm having real fun and I'm as please as punch with the results so far! Any improvement can only be for the good though.

Yes - no idea about the TAL, but PA is important.....I guess you could first note the direction of drift when you set PA to your best effort and place the planet in the far corner of the pc screen when starting capture to get maximum avi time......if you can't get really good PA that is!:p

A barlow for image scale would assist those images, but of course it will increase the apparent rate of drift without good PA, and possibly make focus even more exacting.....

Getting that gain down to an acceptable level so it doesn't burn out any detail, and trying to maximise focus setting are most probably the main things first.....filters (apart from the fairly necessary iR/uV cut filter) aren't beneficial for planetary imaging.....and as you say, you're on your way....!:D

Whilst not as good as most of the pictures here, I'm quite pleased with these results.

First time of photographing Saturn and had a little success with the Tal x2 Barlow. Tracking was out as I started before dark and before Polaris was out. I was just waiting for the moon to clear next door's trees.

Taken with a Meade LPi thru the 6", F5 Newt. Only between 100 and 150 frames stacked automatically by Autosuite. Better tracking wuld have given me more time to take lots more frames, but that's part of the learning curve!

Saturn2010-04-26a1.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a2.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a3.jpg

Saturn2010-04-26a4.jpg

Most importantly it was fun!

good start !

fun is definatly the most important thing to keep in your mind!

when i was trying to image mars when it was close a couple of months back,it certainly did not feel like fun :p brrrr

got it in view ;) insert webcam and barlow, argh! where did it go :D

but with practice,patience and a smile,well sort of! you can get there.