Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

80mm Pot Noodle scope

jnp

It's interesting to see the different approaches to DIY telscopes/guidescopes, but this shows that you really can use just about anything to make a telescope ;)

This was originally intended as a wide field imaging scope but the 80mm 300mm focal length objective lens was hard to colimate (perhaps try again later). This 'Bombay Bad Boy' does however work nicely as a guidescope.

The 80mm lens has quite a heavy brass cell making the guidescope top heavy. I was having all sorts of issues with previous designs until I decided to use simply use hose clips to hold the cell flush with a supporting metal bar. There is now very little stress on the tubing.

It also takes a 2" eyepiece but here is no conventional focuser, you just slide one tube within another and tighten the hose clip (near blue tape) in place. The black tubing is standard 68mm drainpipe.

The combination of a 80mm lens with a QHY5 guidecam means you can easily see objects like M13, M3 in liveview. Seems OK tested on an EQ3-2 + 90mm F10 Refractor or an EQ5 + C8N. The photos show PHD guiding chart from Sunday night and the guidescope mounted on my C8N.

thanks for reading

John

post-15143-133877444178_thumb.jpg

post-15143-133877444181_thumb.jpg

post-15143-133877444189_thumb.jpg