Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White light newbie.

PeterW

1st reasonably clear chance to test my recently acquired Herschel Wedge (thanks Ken), just before the sun goes behind some local flats.

I have previously tried a projected image with an off axis mask on a dobsonian projected onto tracing paper and a custom cardboard whitelight 'scope' and dabbled with solar film, but never been very impressed.

Put in on my WO66 with a CHEAP green filter. with a 12mm eyepiece the view was very sharp, nice active regions highlighted in white near the edges of the disk, a miniscule sunspot (pinprick) on the disk. All across the disk was a very fine mottling, like that you see in H-alpha when you are slightly off band... excellent. Lots to take in and see.... and the sun isn't even active. Got to try my ST120, should take some more magnification. Roll on some sunspots!!

White light as well as H-alpha, another reason not to be too depressed that the nights are short and the light pollution apalling.

PEterW

PS Why is it I feel slightly naughty when I go to observe the sun. The 'never look at the sun' message is still strong.....

I got a Herschel Wedge (Lunt) recently too but am waiting for a decent observing opportunity to post a full report. Yes, it is better than solar film though only a bit, very much better than projection even if projection is safe for your scope.

Why is it I feel slightly naughty when I go to observe the sun. The 'never look at the sun' message is still strong.....

"Slightly naughty" isn't right but you should always be very cautious - if you get careless accidents can happen.

I work with lasers, so always careful. I am looking to get a lower density neutral filter to allow me to maintain good contrast at higher magnifications. Running out of light as you do with all other astro objects is not a problem with the sun. Extra care swapping eyepieces.... my wedge does not have a fixed filter.

Cheers

PEter

Archived