Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

bluemidget

Hi there :D

Hiya gang! A complete beginner here!

I'm Neil from Warrington. Following a recent trip to the museum in London, my boyhood interest in the night sky was kicked back into life! Now spending most nights in the back yard looking at the moon through binoculars and trying to work out a few constellations. The dream I suppose is to one day own a telescope and be able to find my way around the stars with it.

all the best!

N.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Neil. ;)

You're in good company.. everyone here started out as a complete beginner. :)

Hi Neil.

Welcome to the forum.

Got a feeling that it will not be long before you purchase your first scope.

How about joining a local astro group, that way you can hopefully whet your appetite and get a chance to look through some scopes.

Hi Neil, Welcome to the group and to astronomy. If you have not already you should download a program like Stellarium. It's free and will help with the constellations, especially on the cloudy nights.

Well a telescope doesnt have to be a dream these days - prices have fallen amazingly and there are some great bargains to be had.

Welcome to the forum and if you have questions I'm sure we'll all pitch in and try anmd help ;)

Hi Neil,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Neil, welcome to the best site for people at all stages of astronomy! I too am a beginner and live not far from yourself in St Helens. Lots of advice to be had here, the people are great.

Hi Niel and welcome to the group.

If you're saving for a scope then don't forget to check out the "For Sale" section here - there's often some teriffic bargains to be had in used scopes. But binoculars are a great way to start out - same way I did :)