740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Outside As We Speak!

Bravescope

Im sat outside with the SLT 114 for the first time and having a great time looking at the moon (Much better with the 9mm instead of the 25mm!)

I tried to setup the GOTO, but kept getting an alignment failed error ;)... I selected the moon, the north star and another random bright one but it didn't seem to recognise them :)

Setting up the camera to try and get some first shots too (Sorry if they look awful)

BB

Just had a peep at Saturn. I think it's abit moist up there cos the seeing wasn't great although I didn't let my scope cool down enough really.

Haven't looked up for a while (busy with training for a charity cycle ride). The sky's changed SO much since Feb ;)

Good luck with the pics! Would love to see them when you've processed em etc.

Steve

Edited by solarwallace

Cool pic.

What camera are you using out of curiosity?

I've still got to find a way of attaching my DSLR as I can't achieve focus with the attachments I've got at the mo ;)

Steve

They were taken with a Finepix Z:

finepix-z20fd.jpg

I have a NX10 but its too big to hold up to the lens and the connector kit I got just seems useless...

Going to talk with Flo about it sometime this week.

BB

Im sat outside with the SLT 114 for the first time and having a great time looking at the moon (Much better with the 9mm instead of the 25mm!)

BB

It really depends on your preference. I have observed the moon with 6mm-32mm EP.

Personally i prefer the wider views...............but i am LOVING getting up close and personal with the moon of late with a 6mm/2x barlow.

Hi Bravescope

I've the same scope. Everyone's first few alignments fail - not sure why, the just do!

I prefer the auto two star align - you pick the first star then it gives you a range of options for the second star and slews close to it for you.

I usually use polaris and then anoother star about 60degrees away from it. If i'm concentrating on a particular area of sky i'll pick a star in that area.

For example, the last time i was out I chose polaris and arcturus as I wanted to look at som objects that were between them. This alignment method has the advantage that you start to learn some of the star names.

Also, make sure your time and date are accurate, your location is accurate and the scope is level

Planetary align is pretty quick if you just want to view planets and the moon.

Haven't looked up for a while (busy with training for a charity cycle ride). The sky's changed SO much since Feb ;)

Don't forget that the sky riser 1/2 an hour earlier EVERY week. So thats 4 hours of difference between feb and now...

Ant

All the streetlights work off solar panels round here. Going to have to get me some black sticky back plastic! If that fails I always have the paintball gun at hand.....;)

Il try aligning with 2 stars again tonight. Thanks for the comments.

BB

Edited by Bravescope