Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Morpeth

Edgardinho

Hi all,

Phil here, age 30 and located in Morpeth, Northumberland.

I've always been interested in astronomy and all the fundamental questions that go along with it but now i've decided to dive in properly. Living up north, I'm blessed with minimal light pollution so I'm really looking forward to a few nights out in the wild with my new telescope (as yet undecided) and a few cheeky drinks (decided)!

I especially look forward to meeting the people from the Kielder Observatory in October and hopefully before that at some Nightwatch events.

To profess any great observing skills would be a lie which is why I waver on which telescope to get - manual, motorised, GoTo, it's all a bit of a headache at the moment, but eventually i'll make my decision. Currently, I'm thinking of going for a relatively cheap GoTo with the possibility of a full upgrade in the years to come but that changes by the day!!

Anyway, I look forward to getting involved and wish you all clear skies.

Cheers,

Phil

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Phil. You will enjoy it here, and if you need any advice on anything astronomy related, just ask away.

Take your time on deciding what scope to buy, it can be a daunting task, so if you need to know about any aspect, we are here to help.

Ron.

Hi and Welcome to the group.

Bear in mind you need to balance the money right between optics and mount. Don't splash out on one and skimp on the other both are pretty essential for a good viewing experience. And go for largest aperture within budget.

Hope that helps - all the best with your choice. ;)

Well I've gone and done it and bought my first scope. After much deliberation i decided to compromise aperture for a GoTo. Once I've mastered the basics then I'm sure i'll move on to bigger and better things.

I'm waiting for it to arrive but I've gone for a Skywatcher Explorer 130P AZ GoTo from First Light Optics.

Roll on the weekend!

Congrats! ;)

Nice 'scope you're getting. I wish you many happy hours glued to the eyepiece.

You do realize that a new astro-purchase always brings bad weather with it, don't you? You get free clouds with every 'scope.

Seems that they provide better packing protection than bubble wrap. :)

Mr Darn I presume!

Yeah I'm hoping to see some really good stuff. Gonna start off slowly and pick some average sights to see and then start to study maps so if i go manual i know where i'm pointing.

Archived