Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decent quality affordable barlow ?

So my new Nexstar 6 is showing me just how poor my old bundled skywatcher 2x barlow is :(

So without spending a fortune what would you say is a decent 2x barlow ?

I didn't want to spend too much - the celestron ultima looks like it could be decent - it's a bit more than I wanted to spend at £70 or so, but is it worth the extra money over the standard celestron model which comes in at around £30 ish ?

And what of the meade models ? I noticed a variable meade barlow 2x - 3x sliding lens - sounded a bit gimmicky to me ;)

There was another meade model #126 "telenegative" barlow that I looked at :) reckons you stick it in the diaginal you get 2x or stick the diagonal into it and get 3x ?

And then theres the tal models and various £25 or so ebay models labelled as "Achromatic" but with ebay it could be an empty cotton real wit a piece of cling film over the end :(

So with a budget of around £30 or so what would you recommend ?

Or is it worth holding off and spending more and if so what would you recommend then ? :(

i have a TAL barlow and it is indeed fine.

however, i do plan on Televue EPs so i will no doubt be replacing my current barlow with their brand.

telescope house sell them for £70 ish.

its a damn shame FLO doesnt sell the Televue brand (hint,hint) ;)

So my new Nexstar 6 is showing me just how poor my old bundled skywatcher 2x barlow is

Is your bundled SW barlow the bog standard or the Deluxe one? I had the bog standard (single lens I think) with my Skyhawk 114PM.

However, when I got my Skymax 127 it came with the Deluxe one (Two lens jobbie). It is very different to the standard one. Much better quality build and much better performance. £29 at FLO

IMHO you should try and stretch (or hold out) for the Celestron Ultima, Televue or the Orion Shorty Plus.

I agree 100% with this - the above barlows are of sufficiently good optical quality that they seem to introduce no impact on the views other than the additional magnfication. Additionally they are properly baffled internally - barlows of lesser quality can tend to introduce some additional light scattering which reduces contrast.

There's an AstroEngineering 2x available for 20.00 in the Scope'n'skies Astroboot section ;)

Be warned if ordering from Scope'n'skies that A LOT of people have had trouble with them of late with orders.

The TAL barlows are cheap and churpy and great performers.........but IF you can stretch the wallet a BIT further YES there are better barlows.

If your budget is TIGHT...........the TAL really gives you "bang for buck".

Take it from me. I had absolutely NO faith in Barlows until i bought my TAL 2x.

I'm using a Tal 2x as well,

Seems to be pretty good, though It's the only barlow I've used, so nothing to compare It with.

Nice clear optics, with a sharp image.

I agree. I also have a Celestron 2x (EP kit barlow) and it is basically USELESS. Images are blurred and dark.

With the TAL 2x barlow images are sharp and bright.

Archived