Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altometer / inclinometer

GordonCopestake

I'm considering using an Altometer / inclinometer on my refractor mounted on an alt az mount to help me find targets. I've seen people use these on there dobs before now along with a base board circle. I'm not sure yet how to impliment a base board circle but is there any reason an inclinometer wouldn't work on a refractor? I can't see any reason but others have more experience than me.

Also does anyone have any surgestions for suppliers/models?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you couldn't use the skyscout anywhere NEAR metal?

Aluminium is not magnetic... Besides, even with steel tubes, mounting it a few inches above the scope should fix that.

I have several pre-ordered and will be 'testing' one the moment it arrives - I will keep you posted :wink:

But then it's cheaper than DSC

No??? Alright, it came from the US but I paid £180 all in (inc taxes :wink: ) for the NGC Sky Vector!

To be fair (just googled for info on the SkyVector)

It looks an impressive piece of kit but in the UK, it sells for £500 (Celestron Skyscout will sell around £349).

And, looking at all the parts...

image.jpg

... it is not pocketable or easily transferred to other scopes, like the Skyscout.

Yup - you're right. And it's a bit of a [removed word] to fit to a big dob as well. And it doesn't talk to you either :wink: But it's only the encoder mounts that need to stay with the scope as the encoders and computer are all quickly removable. It is a bit pricey in the UK though but what's new about that?

I can understand why the Skyscout is a tad expensive but that

DSC setup at £500 is staggeringly overpriced :shock:

for what it is and does (oversized computer mouse :wink:)

Still think accurately made setting circles on a DOB take some beating.

I find most things first time with a 32mm eyepiece in.

I can understand why the Skyscout is a tad expensive but that

DSC setup at £500 is staggeringly overpriced :shock:

for what it is and does (oversized computer mouse :wink:)

Still think accurately made setting circles on a DOB take some beating.

I find most things first time with a 32mm eyepiece in.

I wonder if a computer mouse would do, if you put a couple of drive belts to the shafts that the ball usually rolls on? Point it at Polaris, press zero and you're away. Big screen readout of the computer tells you where you are pointing.

Captain Chaos

Last year, I had an idea scribbling hour or two with the notion of driving

a DOB AZ base with a stepper motor and a large drive belt round the circle of the DOB base.

Using a very simple computer command system, you could set the AZ to 0 degrees and then

tell the stepper how many steps to reach your target.

Sounds daft but its a serious contender (must be, as I kept the scribbles) :wink:

I have seen Dobs with a 0 to 90 degree scale transferred to the altitude bearing with a simple pointer, and a scale on the base for azimuth. You do have to level the scope carefully, but it works if you have a program which gives the alt-az of the object you want in real time. I think most do.

Thats exactly what im planning with my refractor WH, but rather than a paper scale on the Alt axis i want to use an inclinometer magnetically stuck to the side of my tube. This means the tripod doesn't have to be levelled as it's the level of the tube not the level of the whole setup im measureing.

Still trying to work out how to do the Az axis yet though

Thats exactly what im planning with my refractor WH, but rather than a paper scale on the Alt axis i want to use an inclinometer magnetically stuck to the side of my tube. This means the tripod doesn't have to be levelled as it's the level of the tube not the level of the whole setup im measureing.

Still trying to work out how to do the Az axis yet though

Ah, I see! I should have read your post more closely. The inclinometer thing makes perfect sense.

Archived