Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Bravescope

Structures on the moon

Has anyone photographed anything strange on the moons surface?

One of the recent ones I have been revising is listed below (not my image, found via Google), let me know your thoughts.

moonbox.jpg

Full video link:

BB

Edited by Bravescope

looks like shadow 2 me

i think we would all know if something was really there

Edited by AztecastroMcJ

looks like shadow 2 me

i think we would all know if something was really there

Seems an illusion of light to me too.

I guess it all depends on the size of a structure and if it were above / below ground.

Interesting, still.

BB

Edited by Bravescope

The 'object', which happens to look like the Tardis, is sitting on the edge of the crater Clavius. This crater is 136 miles in diameter. The nearby smaller craters are Porter and Rutherford (35 miles diameter). Clavius C and D are 12 and 15 miles in diameter, respectively.

So the real question is how big is that object?

Is it a trick of the light and a cast shadow or could it be a little trickery with video editing software?

post-13707-133877443153_thumb.jpg

post-13707-133877443161_thumb.jpg

It looks like the shadow cast by the wall during the waxing phase. The shadow is on the other side of the crater tonight. I'll post my image of it up some time tomorrow when I've finished it.

By spinning and scaling the image you get this:

moonnu5.jpg

It seems to be an illusion depending on the appropriate angle of view.

BB

I was looking at the exact position two night ago with a 16" scope and believe their was no tardis like object there. As other have said it's just a shadow cast by Clavius steep walls.

of cours eif you know your scifi then it's ironic it had to be clavius, should have been a pretty large structure above and below the surface, complete with retractable landing pad, since 2001 ;)

The person who made the film probably knew that there was a shadow in Clavius' wall, so i don't think they were trying to bring our attention to the shadow itself. I think they were questioning the lighter albedo areas within the shadow. (Btw, i wish they'd been able to steady the camera a bit more, i felt like i was watching the Blair Witch Project. ;) )

If they'd ever done any amount of lunar observing and/or study, they'd have known that Clavius' walls are terraced, not smooth like a fault line. An oblique sun angle flowing across the terracing causes some of the raised wall material to become illuminated. It's a simple play of light.

And the terracing sometimes is made more uneven by landslides which create 'slumping' (sloped lumping). These landslides can be triggered by a small impact on the upper portion of the terracing, or by a shockwave sent straight through the Moon from a powerful enough impact on the opposite side. :)

With my psychologist's hat on, I thought that was really interesting. I didn't see anything but an ordinary crater shadow until somebody pointed out the Tardis-like shape. A good illustration of the influence of preconceptions on perception. Or, as somebody once said, "I'll see it when I believe it"!

If there was a 'Tardis' like object standing on the edge of the crater it would cast a long shadow right across the crater to the left of the object in the same direction as all the other shadows in the photo. The apparent shadow that it looks like it casts goes in completely the wrong direction.

It's an natural optical illusion caused by the terraced wall of the crater and the direction that the light is coming from IMHO.

There are a lot of "structures on the moon" on the internet, but IMO none of them are really "real" structures as they would have you believe....

d

t