Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power adapter

Hi folks,

I have just found a 12V AC-DC power adapter hiding in the attic and was wondering if it could be used on my CG-5GT mount, the output on it says 12V....500mA 6VA, which doesnt mean a massive amout to me quite honestly, it would be handy if I could use it as it would save me buying a power pack although obviously I dont want to barbeque the mount either. ;)

Cheers matey, looks like its ok yes it is 12 volt it is 500mA which I assume is under 1200mA and the diagram after checking a few electrical diagram sites shows it to be tip positive, thanks very much for the help much appreciated ;)

You shouldn't fry the mount if the polarity is correct, but I'd be suprised if you've got enough current there.

My eq6 draws 2amps which is 4x what that adapter will provide. I'd check yr mount manual or look up specs on the interweb.

Hth.

Mike

All I know is that the voltage should not exceed 12 volts and the amps should not exceed 1200mA. The connector needs to be TIP POSITIVE- should be a diagram on the adapter to show you this.

Hope this Helps

The CG5 GT is similar to the Skywatcher EQ5 Pro. The minimum psu requirement for that mount is 11-15vDC and the psu should be capable of producing a minimum of 2000mA continous current. Your PSU can only deliver 500mA so would be unsuitable.

Peter

Btw, if u under supply the current you'll reduce yr slew speed and (I'm guessing now) it may affect your tracking accuracy?

I run my mount & accessories off a 13amp supply but there is a 2.5A fuse in the line to the mount.

Also, most things designed to run at 12v will be okay up to 13.8v as this is the level of variation one gets from a car battery I believe.

Ok, all understood ,I have just given it a try and everything appeared to work, the mount slewd the tube around , but yes I see what you mean about the tracking accuracy possibly being off, I think maybe instead of being a cheapskate I will invest in a proper powerpack, thanks very much for the input everyone.

Maplins do a very nice little mains adapter 240V AC to 12V DC for £14.99. It has a regulated 5 amp supply which is enough to drive most telescopes and a couple of dew bands (e.g. it drives my CPC at 1.5A and 2 dew bands at 1.5A each - or Synscan 1A). Just don't use an electric hair dryer in your caravan at the same time or you'll trip the site out lol. It has a single cigarette lighter socket (so I use a cig socket splitter) and can also be used for most "in car" products.

Hope that helps ;)

Do you think this would be fine too? Would be quite convenient with the splitter imho, if you have 2.5mm DC socket on the mound, dew heater box, and possibly a fan? eh? I'm thinking of getting this, if it's worth it.

Marius

Maplins do a very nice little mains adapter 240V AC to 12V DC for £14.99. It has a regulated 5 amp supply which is enough to drive most telescopes and a couple of dew bands (e.g. it drives my CPC at 1.5A and 2 dew bands at 1.5A each - or Synscan 1A). Just don't use an electric hair dryer in your caravan at the same time or you'll trip the site out lol. It has a single cigarette lighter socket (so I use a cig socket splitter) and can also be used for most "in car" products.

Hope that helps ;)

Ive actually just been out today and bought pretty much what you have just described made by Ring automotive, just hooked it up seems to run fine, if we get some decent sky tonight I will give it a proper go.

Cheers

Archived