Help With Choosing A Telescope

Hey guys :)

I've been looking at picking up a hobby,and after studying astronomy in physics,I'd like to take up skywatching.

I'd love to have a telescope which I can view galaxies and planets with,in okay detail,but at the same time,the price tag can't be too hefty. Also,as I improve(hopefully :() at the art of skywatching,I'd like to dabble in astrophotography,so with that in mind,are there any telescopes that would be good in that respect? I realise the greater the aperture,the greater the light collected and so the clearer the picture,but at the same time the price goes sky high.

Another thing is,that I will mostly be using it from home,through the attic skylight at night or the back garden,and probably take it out of town sometimes to a more remote area. What would you guys recommend for viewing at home?

What would be a good telescope for my needs,at a maximum price of say £400-£500? I'm not expecting amazing telescopes for that price, and any suggestions with a price higher than that are welcome too.

I'd probably prefer a telescope which has GoTo technology,since I'm new to skywatching and probably won't have a clue as to what I'm looking out for.

To sum it up:I'd like a telescope which I can view galaxies and planets in okay detail,with a maximum price of £500,which I can fit into a 12'5 by 11'8 bedroom(it's not totally rectangular),which preferably has GoTo technology and which I can use later on for some amateur astrophotography(after purchasing the camera and adapter for it of course).

I realise I'm asking for a lot in a telescope,but I'd like to make a good choice,so that my interest in skywatching can grow. If I'm talking complete nonsense,please feel free to knock this beginner astronomer down to Earth ;)

Any advice will be much appreciated:D

Thanks

Syed

Quite a list of requirements for £500 ;)

I would say the secondhand market is going to be your best bet. Not sure which scope to suggest though.

A 200P on a HEQ5 Pro would tick all the boxes but even secondhand, not within budget.

A Celestron 6SE would do it all except the DSO imaging. And secondhand would be within budget.

You might consider getting a 200mm dobsonian: Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian This does not have the GOTO feature, but you could view learning your way around the sky (essential with a dob) an advantage. This should be carryable as two bits (the base and the tube).

You could then keep an eye out for a second hand mount (HEQ5/EQ6 - sytrek models with EQDIR module is cheaper than PRO models) which would give you the goto feature, or save up for a new one. The telescope could then be mounted on that ready for your forays into astrophotography.

May also be worth checking if there is an astronomical society near you.

Wow...thanks for the quick replies guys!;)

I might actually look to invest in the 200P with the EQ5 mount( http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/product/skywatcher_200p_eq5_pro_synscan/ ),will just need to keep saving up I suppose :)

Quite a list of requirements for £500 :(

I would say the secondhand market is going to be your best bet. Not sure which scope to suggest though.

A 200P on a HEQ5 Pro would tick all the boxes but even secondhand, not within budget.

A Celestron 6SE would do it all except the DSO imaging. And secondhand would be within budget.

Since you have the 200P,could I ask you,was it worth getting it for the price(e.g is the view of DSOs and planets good?),and is the portability reasonable?

The 200P is a wonderful telescope to use and own. I have the dobsonian version which i retro fitted to put on an EQ5. For the money it would be hard to beat the 200P for the views it provides. The dob version is an f6 Newt rather than f5, which makes it a slightly better planetary performer and also easier on cheaper eyepieces.

Portability is excellent for the 200P dob. The tube fits on the back seat of the car perfectly and the base goes in the boot no probs. The EQ version of the 200P would be even easier to transport.

The 200P is a wonderful telescope to use and own. I have the dobsonian version which i retro fitted to put on an EQ5. For the money it would be hard to beat the 200P for the views it provides. The dob version is an f6 Newt rather than f5, which makes it a slightly better planetary performer and also easier on cheaper eyepieces.

Portability is excellent for the 200P dob. The tube fits on the back seat of the car perfectly and the base goes in the boot no probs. The EQ version of the 200P would be even easier to transport.

Would I be able to fit the scope and the stand in my attic bedroom do you think?

I understand the EQ5 mount is an equatorial mount,and the dobsonian one is alt-azimuth?(correct me if I'm wrong ;))Would you be able to tell me what the exact differences are,and which one may be the better performer?

Thanks,and sorry for bothering you!

Observing from the attic could pose problems with heat currents, making it hard to get a good clear image. This is why astronomers look like a bunch of nutters stood in a freezing garden in depths of winter.

The EQ5 has the benefit of motorised tracking, so the object stays put in the eyepiece. And there is the chance to start some imaging with the EQ5.

The dob is all about ease of use, quick setup and comfortable viewing sat on a chair.

I dropped all desire to image ever again and so the EQ5 became surplus to requirements. I find nudging the dob to keep the object in view is now second nature and in the end couldn't even be bothered to setup the EQ5 for the tracking ability.

That makes it tricky because a) you'll have to measure carefully how to position each candidate scope and ;) air currents of different temperatures will mess up the wavefront resulting in poor images.

It also pretty much rules out anything other than an alt-az and if you must have GoTo then the Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO suggests itself. At 5 inches aperture, it's likely to leave you wanting more when it comes to deep sky objects.

skywatcher_skymax_127_AZ_GOTO.jpg

Thanks for your informative reply guys...I'm glad I came to this forum ;)

I suppose it's not particularly realistic to expect to get fantastic images from the attic really,my best bet would be to go outside,and away from light pollution I suppose.

What do you guys believe is really the minimum lens aperture that'd be needed to observe DSOs and planets(especially saturn) in good detail?

As for the mount,I'll probably end up going for Alt-Azimuth,as it sounds like it's much easier to set up than an Equatorial mount,especially for a beginner like me.

8" aperture is spot on really. It makes for an excellent balance of performance and useability. I can move my 200P around as a complete unit with complete ease. And it can be setup in 1min flat.

I wouldn't want to discount the EQ option as opinion on dobs is quite split. Some just can't get on with them and find the constant nudging a real pain. If poss, you may want to try them out first. A local club or astro retailer is the best bet. Wouldn't want to be responsible for pushing you in the direction of a dob only for you to hate it with a passion. Although you can EQ mount the dob with ease at a later date. Tube rings are £30 and EQ5 mounts come up for as little as £70. So all would not be lost if you decided the dob had to be EQ mounted.

An 8-inch dob is a classic design and will keep its value better than the 5" Skymax GoTo, I think.

If you are just starting and want to use your bedroom, why don't you start with some good binoculars or even a spotting scope?

8" aperture is spot on really. It makes for an excellent balance of performance and useability. I can move my 200P around as a complete unit with complete ease. And it can be setup in 1min flat.

I wouldn't want to discount the EQ option as opinion on dobs is quite split. Some just can't get on with them and find the constant nudging a real pain. If poss, you may want to try them out first. A local club or astro retailer is the best bet. Wouldn't want to be responsible for pushing you in the direction of a dob only for you to hate it with a passion. Although you can EQ mount the dob with ease at a later date. Tube rings are £30 and EQ5 mounts come up for as little as £70. So all would not be lost if you decided the dob had to be EQ mounted.

I wouldn't worry about you pushing me in the wrong direction...I'm only getting a telescope in a few months' time,and by then I'll be at university,and will join the astronomy club to make an informed decision ;)

I think that's all my questions answered really,thanks a lot for the help all of you guys :)

Archived