Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Daniel-K

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have just bought a meade DS-2000 series goto refractor and i just cant seem to get it aligined! i have type in the date the time and location all perfect but when i click go to moon its out by miles or it says moon below horizon????? im so desparte to get this up and running im running out of patience please some one must be able to help!

OK, can you describe how you set up... how have you aligned the scope? have you set it for daylight saving? have you checked the time zone (lots of scopes default to the US)? what power supply are you using?

And don't worry, we'll get you sorted - we love a challenge!

Helen

hi helen thank you for your fast reply im at a dead end with it as im new to the hobby i just dont knoe were to start.... when the screen comes on it says align easy: so i press enter then it calcs north and level then does a two star alignment but it doesnt seem like the motor is moving up and the red line alignment aint working im using 8 aa batteries brand new

many thanks danny

Hi Danny,

You really need to get the red dot finder working and properly aligned, otherwise you won't be able to properly centre the alignment stars (which is critical for accurate gotos). Is there an on-off switch on the finder? or can you turn it on via the handset? does it need a new battery? Once you've got a red dot you need to adjust it during the day if possible on a distant object eg a chimney of electricity pole. If that's not possible then use the moon at night. Find the moon with your lowest power eyepiece (the one with the biggest number on it), then play with the adjustment screws on the red dot finder until the red dot is in the middle of the moon. (If the scope isn't in tracking mode you'll need to get checking in the eyepiece that the moon is still central while you adjust the red dot finder.) Once its properly aligned it should stay that way.

When the scope finds the first alignment star you need to look through the red dot finder and move the scope so that star is under the red dot, then look in the eyepiece and get it centred. (Follow the instructions on the handset for this.) Then it'll go to the second star, and you do the same. That should get you aligned.

You say the scope doesn't move up - does the mount move when you press the arrows? (you may need to adjust the rate to 8 or 9 to check this) If it doesn't it sounds like you may have a motor problem. Where did you get the scope?

Helen

i only got it yesterday from telescope house i aligned the dot finder today and i have switched it on tonight and it's just not working. the mount has been wokring fine till just now im so confused lol

i have just gone out now to find the red do finder working but when i tured it round to the moon to get it aligned properly it vanished???

Is there a button the handset with a light bulb on it? If so, try pressing that and see if the red dot comes back on.

Helen

Just thought it worth checking that you have set up your home location in the handset?

yes i set my home location i have done everything the manual say's twice over to make sure i have enterd it all corectly.

so here's how i got on last night:

first i aligned it north, then level so far so good motor is working fine i just hadn't tight'ned up the arm porperly it then ask me for two star aligment it found capella fine in the eye piece was a bright star so i assumed it was but then on the next one castor there was nothing in my eyepiece maybe i couldnt see it because of the light of the moon i dunno?? but i think im getting there slowly.

I share some experience.

Before I have ETX-125PE, (That is similar scope) I think the problem is the scope's home position. (Not your house) You need to turn the scope to anti-clockwise until the home position. Otherwise, it will never to point the right place. Please check the manual. Although sometime that is useless. I also take a long time to figure out how it's work. When you find out how to set the scope home position, the rest will be easy.

Don't worry, in normal that will not be a big problem.

Furthermore, check the scoep is setting at the north side, or south side in the menu. I can't remember where it is.

That is my $0.02

Cheer,

funoooo

i have just gone out now to find the red do finder working but when i tured it round to the moon to get it aligned properly it vanished???

In menu, there is one function to turn it on. Please check.

it's very difficult to do the alignment with just the eyepiece as the field of view (FOV) is not wide enough (depending on what eyepiece you are using it might be a fraction of a degree). On initial alignment, the scope could be pointing a few degrees away from the star you want, so you definately need to be using the red dot finder (RDF) to get it closer to the star you want and then use the scope to get it spot on. Capella might have fallen in the field of view by chance, but it doesn't mean the others will. Use the longest focal length eyepiece you have to give you more chance of seeing the alignment star on the FOV. Don't forget there will be many stars visible when you look thought the scope, so make sure you are choosing the right one for alignment. Try an go for obvious ones like Arcturus which is very bright and orange if that's an option.

Regarding aligning the RDF with the scope, it need to be done on a very distant object eg. >1km away for it to be accurate.

i have been using 25mm eyepiece. during the day time its hard to see the red dot so i found it hard to align it

does it matter how level the tripod is??

It will come closer to the initial alignment stars if it's level. If you image it's tilting, as the scope rotates around to an alignment star in the south, it won't rotate horizontally, it will start to dip or go up which will mean it's further away from the alignment star. On the whole, it might not matter, but it could help.

hi helen thank you for your fast reply im at a dead end with it as im new to the hobby i just dont knoe were to start.... when the screen comes on it says align easy: so i press enter then it calcs north and level then does a two star alignment but it doesnt seem like the motor is moving up and the red line alignment aint working im using 8 aa batteries brand new

many thanks danny

That is my experience.

1. I don't make the lock tight enough, so the motor can not dive the scope to right place.

2. I forgot to make the home position, (Alt and Az bothe side) that the scope can not make the right counting the degree.

3. Sometime the manual is useless, there is missing a lot of "autostar" information. You need to do it by trial and error. For example: Sync and not Sync function is nold on the Key in button few second, but the manual never tell you that.

4. Easy alignmemet - That is very important. If the alignment get wrong, you will never to find the object right in the centre. ( some time the object is out of view over 30 degree; of coure, that is a very worse case.)

5. If that is not work, try to key in your GPS position. Meade ETX-125PE has a place to key in. (I find it a long time.) Do your scope has this function? I'm not sure.

Because I sold my scope a long time ago, I forgot some function. I think you need to ask some stargazer to share how to use your scope.

that is my $0.02

Cheer,

funoooo

i have been using 25mm eyepiece. during the day time its hard to see the red dot so i found it hard to align it

Perhaps try and take advantage of the moon being up at the moment, it's quite easy to find with the scope eyepiece, even just by sighting along the length of the tube can get you pretty close. Once it's pointing to the middle of the moon, adjust the RDF to do the same and it will be to within 1/2 a degree. I use this method when I'm struggling with alignment.