Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

DarkerSky

Awful seeing !!

The worst I've had for several months tonight ;) Trying in vain to get Mars but it is just all over the show. Even the moon is undulating under moderate magnification. Granted I am having to look over the house, so have some heat rising, but even right at the back of the garden where there is a decent gap of sky, its poor.

Noticed that even stars in Ursa Major overhead are twinkling :)

Scope in and time for a glass of wine I think !

I agree rubbish wasn't it. I concentrated on my Lunar 100 project, seeing doesn't really effect lunar that much.

Edited by Doc

Left the scope to cool down earlier, and it looked nice and clear then, but when I went outside half an hour ago the mist had arrived. The moon was OK even if it was boiling and shimmering and Saturn wasn't too bad, but other than that it was pretty much a waste of time.

John

Edited by johninderby

Even the moon is undulating under moderate magnification. Granted I am having to look over the house

That explains everything ....

That explains everything ....

I wish it were as simple as that tonight Brian. I've had better views when i've looked at objects within a degree of the roofline than I did with half a sky's width tonight.

Just get some nights like that. Although here's my conspiracy theory...

It's the contrails from all the extra flights airlines are operating tonight. A deliberate ploy to stop us from seeing something they dont want us to see !! :):(;)

I'll get my coat.... :(

I agree rubbish wasn't it. I concentrated on my Lunar 100 project, seeing doesn't really effect lunar that much.

Intrigued...what is you lunar 100 project?

I've just decided that when the moon is out, I'm going to use it.

I've started the Lunar 100 which is 100 objects some are hard and some easy.

I bet I've seen loads of them without knowing but this time going to study them, been doing a while now.

Here's one of my reports.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/102320-lunar-100-observing-report-20-4-2010-a.html

The seeing for me was appalling too..and that was over fields... it's been good most of this week, but last night was dire

Yesterday there was a 600m volcanic ash cloud over large parts of the UK. I was at Sheffield Uni and all afternoon it was clearly visible. At sunset it appeared like sheet Noctilucent cloud over the Manchester area.

Several people have now been reporting how bad the seeing was in their area last night. Speaking with an astronomer who was outside of the ash cloud area reported normal seeing.

I was seeing double on Saturn last night, very strange indeed. Not constantly, it would drift in and out of doubliness, with moments of clarity. A star test proved my collimation was no worse than any other time.

Fatigue from this nasty "volcanic flu" had me back indoors after an hour or so.

Edited by yeti monster

Funny,

'cause last night was the best seeing for lunar and planetary I've had in many years. Incredibly still earlier on and starting to get a bit wobbly from about midnight onwards.

I lucked out - I went out as the Sun was setting and observed a steady image of Mars, 30 minutes later it was sometimes jumping from side to side !!!

I'm with part timer on this. I also had my best ever view of the moon on tuesday night. Even as the moon was setting and the air was "boiling" i still had great views. I saw very small details that i have never seen before.

Dont know about the seeing tonight but the moon is pants tonight through those bloomin contrails again AAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ;)

Peter....

Lookin good so far here. Moon is amazing and Venus is sparkling like a diamond. Petty my view west is obstructed. I only get a few mins with Venus most evenings.

Got some fantastic views of the Moon tonight, tried Saturn and it has to be the worst I have ever seen it, infact looking at Stellarium now I don't even know if I was even looking at Saturn it was that bad!

Edited by spike87

The moon was very steady tonight with some great views despite there being a large halo around it and I was able to spend an hour wandering around so to speak. Saturn however was worse than last night.

John

Either high cloud or ash over south Birmingham for me last night, I was hoping to get a full moon shot, but did have my doubts, and not the weather report does not look good till Sunday Night / Monday morning