Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

stuming

Balancing scope with camera attached.

Hi all,

I don't do much imaging. I just want to do basic moon shots using my DSLR attached to my SW130P on a AZ GOTO mount. I've got all the bits so this is not a question about how to do things. What I'm worried about is how much my heavy camera (Canon 20d) unbalances my scope. The motors can still drive the mount but only a gentle push on the front of the scope pushes it down.

I'd like any ideas for balancing the scope at the other end. How can I attach a weight that will counterbalance my camera? Remember, my mount is the most basic one with just an all-in-one motor / telescope mount, with no counter weights.

Cheers.

Stuart

I like Hi Tech...

Once you find the position use some stick and stick velcro... the ankle weight will normally have velcro closure...

Peter...

ah, I see. The hi-tech approach.

Big professional telescopes usually have lumps of lead screwed on to the front; which is not much more high tech that ankle weights and velcro ;)

You can tighten the alt bolt (at least on the NexStar SLT)... mine was so loose that on one occasion I had to catch a hyperion before it whacked the diagonal into a leg...

remove the scope from the mount... remove the dovetail screw (the one you used to release the scope)... you should be able to get a spanner in the gap, and give the nut a small tweak. You probably won't even need a quarter turn. If this is only for the odd occasion, then that should be fine. If you are looking to run for long periods like this, then yes look at balancing it out more. A pair of tuberings and a dovetail will allow you to move the scope along the mounting to achieve balance, just watch the tail...