First Lesson

HI All

I think the first thing I have to learn is patience which the wife really agrees with. Little old me thought get scope out the box wait till it goes dark and bingo.

But heres to days ??? I think telescopes are like prime lenses on cameras you can only focus not zoom. Is that right? Is it down to the eye piece. In other words is it one eye piece to get a view of the whole moon and another to get a close up of craters :D:confused::)

HI All

I think the first thing I have to learn is patience which the wife really agrees with. Little old me thought get scope out the box wait till it goes dark and bingo.

But heres to days ??? I think telescopes are like prime lenses on cameras you can only focus not zoom. Is that right? Is it down to the eye piece. In other words is it one eye piece to get a view of the whole moon and another to get a close up of craters :D:confused::)

Yes that is correct.

Altho there are so called Zoom eye pieces on the market these days.

But I have never used them and have no idea about the quality of those zoom EP's.

Hi bud,

My little scope is just a Meade ETX 60. It is virtually out of the box and have a look through! Cheap/cheerful and easy for me to use. It's a straight forward refractor so just a case of change the eye pieces (EP) and focus in! So yeah, the higher the EP i.e 25mm, the more of the sky you will see ergo, the smaller the EP i.e 6mm, the higher the magnification and less of the 'big picture'!

So in essence: zoom in with the EP and then fine focus after!

Afraid that I do not know your scope or how to set up initially but yes, patience? You is going to need a bucket full bucketman!! :D

Archived