Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Javier

Astro Tech coma corrector question

Hi everyone!

I´m looking forward to purchase a coma corrector, but the only option that I have here is the GSO (coma corrector) I read in astronomics website that their coma corrector would increase the focal ratio in 10%. In the other hando, I´ve read that Baader MPCC won´t change the focal ratio at all. Since I don´t have a good mount, I would prefer to keep my reflector at f5, but I will have to wait several months to purchase the MPCC.

Now the question, do all coma correctors increase the focal ratio or is it true than MPCC keeps it when using it in f4-6 reflectors?

Thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Javier

Hi Javier, what are you looking for from the coma corrector (apart from the obvious of course..) - have you noticed the coma in your images or is it for visual only ?

rgds

Hi Steve, thanks for your answer.

I´m looking for a photographic coma corrector. I enjoy observing, but coma is not a big issue for me. But I can´t stand coma in my images.

You can see in this image of the Jewel Box the coma in my f5 newtonian (with an awful collimation by the way...)

So far, nobody couldn´t tell my anything about GSO-AT coma corrector, and I don´t like the fact that it increases the focal ratio in 10%.

I would really appreciate any advice!

post-17970-1338774425_thumb.jpg

Edited by Javier

I agree the coma in this photo is very bad. Not ideal but you can always crop the coma out.

As far as I aware the Paracorr, Skywatcher and GSO-AT coma correctors all increase the focal ratio by 10% the only one that does not id the MPCC.

I would wait until a MPCC comes up second hand I've seen a few on this forum come up.

Thanks Mick for your reply. I´m going to take your advice.

I know I can always cropp the image, but in this case is a shame. This cluster is in very rich zone of the milky way.

I think no one will send my a second hand MPCC all the way to Buenos Aires, am I right?

Regards,

Javier.