Get orf my land!

Kenny_10_Bellys

While raking out some old stuff this morning I came across a deed I must have received as a gift back in the 80's. Apparently I own an acre of land on the junction of Mare Imbrium and Oceanus Procellarum, according to Moon Estates Inc and it's supreme leader, a guy called Eddie. Fair enough. Anyone know where NASA or the Chinese are planning to land this time round? I plan on charging rent should they be foolish enough to step on my turf.

Anyone else a land owner in an exotic location?

kennyville.jpg

Gordon, I think the paper is worth about £10, the deed and the map are printed on quite good quality card and in full colour. I reckon if this guy Eddie has gone to all the bother of making and selling a deed then I should certianly ask for some recompense if they are foolish enough to land on my pristine plot. What's the difference between my arbitrary bit of archive quality paper claiming ownership of a bit of a 4.3 billion year old space rock and their arbitrary bits of archive quality paper?

True. I have a deed that says I own about 4,000 sq. ft. of good Canadian soil, but in what sense can we be said to actually own something that was here for billions of years before us, and will outlast us by billions of years?

I think your claim to the moon is as good as anyone else's, and I always wanted to get one of those deeds myself. I agree with the Native people in this country; it's a bit pretentious to say you own land.

I guess........ At the end of the day posession is 9/10ths of the law as they say. If you go there kenny you can fend them off your property. Plus your neighbours are unlikely to complain if you take their land too....

Neighbours? I dont know how many of these things the guy has sold, the website is still running and still selling plots as far as I can tell. Then again maybe he's saved himself a butt-load of work and just printed the same certificate with the same co-ordinates to everyone. I would if I was a con-artist.

I'm with Mr Warthog on this one, I find the notion of laying claim to a massive geological feature as yours when it has existed for billions of years without your interference and will probably go on doing so, as a bit pretentious. If a flea ran up and claimed your left foot for flea-kind, would you even notice? I think I might knock up a deed for myself later tonight when I get back from the pub. I fancy laying claim to M31, M51 and maybe M100 too. That should do to be going on with.

I fancy laying claim to M31, M51 and maybe M100 too. That should do to be going on with.

Sorry mate they're all mine!....... :wink:

At the end of the day i'ts a bit of fun and something to talk about at the end of dinner over coffee and mints....You do have mints don't you :grin:

Sorry, no mints. The 10 Bellys have to go so I got put on a diet by her indoors. I can do you some grapes or a pro-biotic, virtually fat-free yoghurt? I'd love a box of After-Eights right now, I really would. :wink:

As for owning the Moon, apparently it's supposed to be the same as international waters here on earth. There's also a treaty that supposedly bans the placement of any weapons there as well. Which is nice.

Archived