SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13, 190MN, 2x PowerMate, TS OAG :)

SteveL

I imaged this one on Satudary night at SGL5, its an hours worth of 5 minute images. I took 2.5 hours worth, but M13 was still down "in the murk" at the start and the image quality was quite bad at that altitude. The guiding also suffered that low down, but it improved quickly as it got higher in the sky.

A couple of new bits of kit involved in this image. First was the inclusion of a Teleskop Service 9mm Off Axis Guider, which took 3.5 daylight hours to get parfocal with the imaging CCD, but well worth the time spent.

The other bit in this image was the use of a Televuew 2" 2x PowerMate, which takes the 190 MakNewt from f/5.3 to f/10.6... slower but the same field of view as a C8.

I`m very happy with the performance of the 190MN under abnormal conditions, I am sure that the OAG had a large part in getting such fantastic subs. You would have thought that such a long tube OTA would have really moved around, and adding the powermate would have just made things worse, but I have included an image of the 2x drizzle cropped center of M13 to show just how round most of the stars are.

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Skywatcher 190 MakNewt @ f/10.6 (Televue 2" 2x PowerMate)

Guiding: TS OAG + Starlight Xpress Lodestar

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 12x300s, Hutech IDAS LPR (101 bias, 101 flats)

Orchestrated: CDD Commander

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

(Click on image for larger version)

20100417_m13_2_800.jpg

and here is the 2xdrizzle cropped centre...

20100417_m13_2_central_crop.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad it worked out for you Steve.. its a superb image

I'll have to get mine up and running again now... Still havent been able to drum up much enthusiasm at the moment though soemthigns not quite right with my favourite M72 setup and i havent been able to nail it down :D

Peter...

Wow!

That combination certainly works really well here.

I agree with Jamie....the best core detail I've ever seen....top processing and lovely star colour and depth.

Cheers

Rob

In the grand scheme of "not happy with it first time round", which happens a lot to me, I decided to have another bash at the processing on this. Much much happier with it now ;)

I used a less bright but less burned out layer to allow me to grab the star colours on the red stars, plus discovered the joys of the "threshold" tool for seletcing background/foreground for selective noise reduction.

Here is the new one and the old one for comparison (I`ll update the image in the first post to show the new one in a minute).

New version (Click on image for larger version)

20100417_m13_2_800.jpg

Original version

20100417_m13_800.jpg

Hmmm.... I prefer the original by a long shot.

The reprocess looks over-stretched, and the brighter stars are less neat. I also find the outer regions lack even graduation in the stars.

Saying that, it's amazing how much faint stuff you've brought out.

Maybe a mid-way version? ;)

Archived