SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Naming Kit

crowlord

All my scopes have names. :D

The LX-10 is Snoopy. He's good at sniffing out galaxies and difficult lunar features. The 90mm Mak is Sunny. His first light was some sunspots (i couldn't wait till dark). The big 120mm f/8.3 achro was my first refractor. Her name is Lyra because first light was M57. The 80ST is Punkin' because, well, he was my second refractor and he's such a little punkin' in size compared to Lyra. The 120ST is Cassie. We cruised around Cassiopeia for her first light, and i fell in love with the wide f/5 views.. she's my most-used scope now.

Hmm... no names for the binos yet, i'll have to work on that. :)

My William Optics ZS80FD is called The Red Temptress. When I first saw a picture of one of these, I wanted one. When I was about to get it, I had a wobbly moment and thought about getting a cheaper one instead. Then someone took the mickey, saying Darren...Darren.... The red temptress is calling you, so I hammered the plastic.

MY 10" black diamond flex dob is called Bella (Bellatrix).

I think it bonds you moe with your scope if you name it. :) My prev scope was a big white 10" Dob 'unnameless one' which i didnt bond with at all. Presently in exile in the spare room. ;)

My grab-and-go refractor is "Apollo-Soyuz" as it is a 12mm Nagler (Al worked on the Apollo simulator) mated to a KMZ TAIR 300mm lens made in Krasnogorsk, USSR. And it looks just as weird as Apollo-Soyuz did.

200px-Logo_KMZ.svg.pngtelevue-logo.jpg

No scope names but I do refer to one of my grab and go setups, that I take to the local AS as:

'The Glasnost Giro'

Why?

Well on one side of my Giro DII I have a Televue NP101 (one of Uncle Al's fine American APOs) and on the other side I have a 7" Mirage STF Maksutov Cassegrain (one of Dmitri's finest Maks).

The combination of the 1/2 metre focal length refractor and the 2 metre focal length Maksutov Cassegrain on the same mount works in perfect harmony and Гла́сность!

Adrian

Themos and I must have a similar mentality!

My scope hasn't arrived yet however im thinking a female name would be fitting for a good piece of engineering, is it unlucky to name something before you have it? lol

Archived