Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ISS & Shuttle: Another chance

Tantalus

I'm sure most of you know that the Shuttle STS-131 didn't land today. So for space-watchers up late/very early there's another chance to catch them both later tonight. Heaven's Above gives the first pass of the ISS at around 03:08 BST, and a second pass at around 04:40 BST from my location. From Google Sat tracker, I make the Shuttle to be around 5mins 20s in front of the ISS.

With only 3 more projected missions, opportunities to see the Shuttle are diminishing rapidly, though I don't know if I'm going to stay up for either pass, I've had a lot of late nights recently, I need sleep...

Hopefully the sky will stay clear up here in the North East, i want to try and viedo the ISS on my panasonic Lumix fz28 which has an 18x zoom on it.

I caught it the other morning, zoomed in on it and tracked it across the sky, watching as it gleamed beautifully as the early morning light was breaking and the sky was turning blue.

As i filmed it, i was certain i could make out the shape of the ISS and i excitedly rushed in once it had passed, to view my work on my pc.

To my horror, i found i hand'nt caught any footage of it and i then realised id been messing around with my camera settings and i'd forgotten to turn it back to the video setting!:D

So when i pressed "play" id actually only fired off a single pic!

No wonder i could see the thing when i was "filming" it!.

When im on camera the setting, not only do i have 18x optical zoom, i also have digital zoom which brings the total magnification upto 72X!

Ill have another bash tonight, fingers crossed, the sky will stay clear! (please please please!)

Archived