Narrowband

Problems with Antares Speers Waler - Focusing

So there I was, all set up for SGL5 with my latest Obay purchase - the 17mm 82deg ASW lens. It looked a beauty.

• Darkness fell...
  • Warming tea to stave off the rapidly cooling temperatures.....
  • Dobsonian ready.....
  • Eyepiece in and (as it looked so pretty) quick peek at the Moon.

Eh ? :)Why can't I get focus ?

Rack in / rack out... no, still no focus :D

Try in Dobservers 12", but still no joy. Try in Reece's 8" dob and "yes" we have image. and it looked perfect at that. Absolutely cracking.

Speaking with Andrew* later on at SGL 5 he mentioned he had some troubles like that as well and recommended a low-profile focuser.

I tried a barlow lens and it now allowed me to focus, but it took the focal length to a level that I didn't want. So, is there a way to get round this ? I'm assuming that it's a feature and not a fault, but wonder what good advice might be out there.

Thanks for any help

Steve

PS - has anyone got an e-mail address for Antares (a Canadian company) - I've tried but cannot seem to find one !

Oh I can still see the look of devastation in your face when it wouldn't focus! Bless...

And it did look stunning in Reece's scope - imagine what it would be like in yours if only you could rack in far enough? A new focuser seems a bit of a drastic move though.....

Thanks John. Likewise, although I never did get to peek through your 'fractor... See you at another Star Party ? I really did want to look..

I'm sure that will happen Steve :) - thanks for the view of M51 through your LB16 - sprial arms ? - no problem :D

Hi Steve.

What a shame it won't focus, I had an eyepiece a while cannot remember which one that wouldn't focus as well and I was told if you require more in focus which you do you either need to

1. Low profile focusser

2. Cut a bit of the length of your truss poles.

3. Move the primary mirror up the tube

4. Buy a eyepiece that works :D

I like number 4 best.

Unfortunately this is a well documented problem with the Speers. A low profile focuser maybe one solution. Or trying to recollimate and pushing the mirror up the tube at the same time. I used my Speers with 3 scopes (12.5" Meade dob, 8" SW dob and ED80) and had no problems. Is the focus way off?

Archived