Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Re: seben big boss 150/1400

Hi All

I am new to this game and thinking of buying a motorised seben big boss 150/1400 6". I know its probably not the way forward but am I wasting time and money or will it do me for a month before spalshing out a grand on kit?

I received a Jeep Rubicon as a present today and haven't even looked thru it but know its will be a pointless excercise.

My real question I guess is will I see anything thru the seben big boss 150/1400? I need a good justification to buy a better on i.e. will need to be excited by the image in the scope?

thankx and sorry for the blab. :wink:

okay I have decided cheap is bad and Seben is a bad move!

I have a budget of £1000 and like the idea of goto function to get me in quicker (I have little patience). So Meade or Celestron? 6" or 8"

Any suggestion to package to buy will be most appriciated. I particularly like nebulas but will look at planets from time to time too or space debris.

Thanx everyone

I found some more stuff I can sell on ebay and my budget is up to £1500 (If I sell my all items).

I am looking at the Celestron Advanced Series C9.25-SGT/ (XLT). this is what the guy in the shop recommened.

I can find any information as such on Dobsonian telescopes so I am non the wiser about them.

I am interested in looking at nebulae and deep sky clusters. I like to know I have the option to do anything I want from whatever I buy including imaging.

I notice some of you have multiple telescopes. Why would you need a small scope if you got a big one?

I'm not sure what £1500 will buy in Britain, but you might want to consider getting the 8" SCT and some really boss eyepieces. I think you are suggesting a very good choice here, as long as you don't mind taking the risk that you'll be less interested than you think you will.

I think my next scope will be an SCT, then I will retire one or both of my present scopes.

I notice some of you have multiple telescopes. Why would you need a small scope if you got a big one?

Sometimes its just not worth taking the big scope out. The moon maybe spoiling the view or you may have work in the morning. Theres lot of reasons to be honest. :wink:

The weather in this country often means that you don't get long observing sessions but have to take your chances when the skies clear. Big scopes are great but they do take time to set up and cool down. It can be an hour until you can use a big scope (cue clouds !) wheras with a small "grab and go" type scope you can be outside observing within minutes. IMHO it's better to get some nice views with a smaller scope for 30 minutes or so than nothing with a big one because either a) you don't bother setting it up because the skies look dodgy or :wink: by the time it's set up and ready to use the clouds have rolled back in.

John,

North Somerset

Archived