Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

stuming

Problem with AtoZ GOTO mount - replacement?

Hi all,

I got the above mount as a package with my SW 130P and I've been very happy with it, being a beginner. It's not the most rigid thing in the world but it works well for the stuff I'm looking at; planets, moon, Orion etc.

Unfortunately, one of the legs has a problem: the thumbscrew that you tighten up to lock the extended leg of the tripod pushes out the threaded brass bush it's in when you tighten it, as opposed to locking tight against the leg. It's not unusable yet: I can tighten it enough to use the tripod, but I can see it getting worse.

Anybody got any ideas to stop this happening?

Is there the option of a new, more sturdy mount I can buy? I still need / want to use the Synscan GOTO part of the mount though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Stuart

Well, in case anyone has the same problem, I've "solved" the issue of the metal bush being pushed out of the hole byapplying super glue to the brass bit, letting it soak in a bit and then pushing the brass bush back. It seems to be a reasonable temporary solutiion.

Would still like anyones opinion on other suitable mounts though!

Hi Stewart Ive got the same problem with my mount but as yet I haven't tried to fix it. All Ive done is use a jubilee clip to prevent the leg sliding back up if it fails completely.

Brett ;)