Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ANOTHER SPLIT COMET - 12:31 UT 15/04.2010

Woohoo...got another one

Comet K5 Mcnaught imaged using Faulkes Telescope North which was officially offline, but had a remote log in

Image showing the split here

MPC data reduction and analysis inbound to Harvard...

This is unbelievable,...!!!

post-14410-133877440373_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Nick. Although comet fragmentation isn't that rare (as you're demonstrating quite well) especially amongst a C/ which is getting a bit of a thermal shocking, what's interesting about this one is that the magnitudes of the fragmented pseudo nuclei are apparently quite similar which would tend to suggest a more dramatic event.

K5 was on my hit list last night so hopefully I will have a wide field (80mm) shot of it. If someone has another taken on a previous night it may be possible to see if the fragmentation has led to enhanced outgassing and a brightening of the coma/tail.

I had a theory for a PhD it's being born out very nicely right now...

Newly discovered long period comets undergo significant thermal and gravitational stress...I reckon loads of em do this..

The processing most people do is on the coma (DDP etc)...if you try to reduce the coma, and use other tricks...you get to see far more of the smaller nucleus area...

Simples!!

Well done Nick. Although comet fragmentation isn't that rare (as you're demonstrating quite well) especially amongst a C/ which is getting a bit of a thermal shocking, what's interesting about this one is that the magnitudes of the fragmented pseudo nuclei are apparently quite similar which would tend to suggest a more dramatic event.

K5 was on my hit list last night so hopefully I will have a wide field (80mm) shot of it. If someone has another taken on a previous night it may be possible to see if the fragmentation has led to enhanced outgassing and a brightening of the coma/tail.

Thanks Pete, great explanation.

2 Metre apertures really do help on this stuff!

Dr PAul Roche at FT thinks I may have dicovered the Mcnaught is a binary nucleus or that (as Pete says) a major split has occurred...either way, this is going to the NAM show in Glasgow as we speak... and my phone is going nuts again..

Dr Roche has just looked at the data and also now thinks that the components are rotating and quite quickly. This comet is moving VERY rapidly compared to C/2007 Siding Spring, and the elements could be orbiting each other or rotating..

Man this is more exciting than the first one!

Mon Dew ...mon Dew.... :-)

I guess they will/have...who knows

It's a really funny spinny thing, will try to upload the video to youtube

"Mon Dew Mon Dew"?, Good Heavens Nick, you sound like Del Boy.:).

You are certainly roping these broken Comets In.:D

Ron.

Archived