Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iceland Volcano

And its SGL5 weekend.......

I'm hoping it will enhance the sunsets for a few nights...

And the CME from the other day is due to make a glancing blow with earth on the 17th apparently so chances of auroral activity further south than normal so North of Scotlans seems to be the place to be... Andrew your heading the wrong way but it will be nice to see you again...

Peter....

Andrew your headign the wrong way but it will be nice to see you again...

Peter....

Likewise. :D

I haven't seen the aurora for years, and even then it was very faint. Would be a shame to miss the show....

As for the volcano - hope that doesn't mess up the skies. If it can put a stop to flights for the whole nation, it's probably not going to do astronomers any favours...

Andrew

Its not all bad - Just ask the chap that is with me for training - he is now looking forward to visiting London at the weekend, he seems quite pleased that he will be delayed - he even asked to use my computer to send an email to his family to see if everything is OK and tell them he will be late getting back to China.

Chris

Also, no vapour trials... they have really annoyed me recently! I hadn;t realised how much they spread out to produce a thin high level haze, spoiling an otherwise clear night.

Sun has set but so far no sign of a volcanic sunset. I dont think the plume of ash has quite made it this far south yet across Ireland (even if it will). The airports closed as a precautionary measure and rightly so.

I did see a volcanic sunset a few yrs ago and it was beautiful.................shades of purple,pink,magenta all mixed in together.

Ahhh, no contrails or planes flying through our shots. All we need now is a good blackout.....

PEterW

Not sure i should be telling this or even if it is true, but a few yrs ago a guy i knew who works for the ESB (Irish electricity company) told me that every street light has a manual shut off button inside the light. All you need to shut them off is a good strong screwdriver to remove the front panel and the button is right there infront of you.

Just be polite and turn the light back on when you are done observing.

Mods please feel free to remove this comment if you deem it unsuitable. I am not for one second saying that people should go around messing with street lights and risk criminal prosecution and/or electrocution.

Its just some useless information that was given to me by someone.

lol... unlikely anyones ever gonna try that without a very long ladder and balls of steel! Nothing that a .22 cant solve :)

I went out last night and didnt see any interesting sunset either, but the volcano has managed to make its way onto Sat24.com. Flights are cancelled for a second day, so fingers crossed it will end soon. However, a vulcanologist on BBC news explained that if the eruption changes phase into a lava producing phase.... then it could last weeks... even months! :D

Lets hope not.

I know, I have a friend trying to get back from Schipol in Amsterdam - its costing him a fortune in extra subsistance and insurance companies wont pay out because they call it "force majour" or "an act of god".... yeah right.

I dont think jets would be allowed to fly so low becuase at that that altitude I think they become less efficient and burn more fuel. Lol..... BA wanted a strike.... now they cant work even if they wanted to!

Archived