Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

George

Volcanic ash cloud over UK

Did I read a post that said 'weather's supposed to be good'. . . ?

First the weather report said 'partly cloudy, then it said 'fog' & now there's a bloomin ash cloud... BBC say it's going SE but I'm waiting for ... 'a change in the pressure (blah blah blah) means the cloud is heading straight for ....... :D

When it comes to Volcanic ash, everyone has a different opinion, but for me last years Sarychev SO2 Layers over the U.K. display was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen.

I took pictures, several of which were used by the media.

Capturing the SO2 layers is tricky, but when seen with the naked eye they are spectactular, talk about end of the world.

Below are some, but they do not do the display any justice at all.

post-17619-133877440305_thumb.jpg

post-17619-133877440308_thumb.jpg

post-17619-133877440314_thumb.jpg

I saw that rippling effect last night - so that's what it is! It's making for great sunsets, but I can just see it messing up our summer!

Yep, white ripples at sunet/sunrise. My best view of Sarychev was a sunrise. On the original 6Mb pic below, they show up quite well, but on this cut down version they are not so easy to see.

post-17619-133877440326_thumb.jpg

Nice photos Towa.

If its anything like that at sunset tonight I'll go out with my camera.

Edited by Tony.S

My daughter is stuck in Ireland due to no flights. Only her second time flying, the first was from Manchester to Norwich which was cancelled due to snow. I think it's just her!!

Being stuck in Ireland would be great, pubs, music, stories, Guinness and brillant sunsets over Galway Bay!

The alternative is the sea ferry back to Wales.

Being Irish I am not biased in anyway, just a realist!!!!

I was wondering earlier today where all the ash is likely to settle given that the BBC is trying to compare it to the Buncefield Oil Depot fire in Hemel Hempstead in December 2005. The smoke from that fire sailed gracefully over our house twice (wind changed) and the smell was not pleasant. There was a layer of ash over my car afterwards. Even got ash on my hands when out walking and going over stiles.

I will be looking out for a good sunset tonight with the camera at the ready.

Cheers

Adrian

Look like my bit of German mount "hi-tech" will be grounded. :D Ah well, safety first.

And a lot of TV reporters standing around in Airport departures to dramatic effect... :)

20Miles south of Belfast Cloud and more cloud, Don't think im going to see much tonite not even a sunset or even dust but i might see some Guinness

Since the bulk of the plume is to the east of the UK-does this mean some possibly spectacular sunrises ??

Since the bulk of the plume is to the east of the UK-does this mean some possibly spectacular sunrises ??

I hope so....

Already planned my spot for the morning...

It's just so unusual for me to have "blue skies" without a single contrail in sight....

Peter...

news say its drifting off in the direction of the east coast, should be fine for us yorkies :D

I hope so....

Already planned my spot for the morning...

It's just so unusual for me to have "blue skies" without a single contrail in sight....

Peter...

Blue Skies - what part of the UK are you lucky enough to be in? Its been grey cloud all day here...:D

got a couple of hours of clear skies predicted tonight, other than that it has been cloudy all day

Being stuck in Ireland would be great, pubs, music, stories, Guinness and brillant sunsets over Galway Bay!

The alternative is the sea ferry back to Wales.

Being Irish I am not biased in anyway, just a realist!!!!

I was wondering earlier today where all the ash is likely to settle given that the BBC is trying to compare it to the Buncefield Oil Depot fire in Hemel Hempstead in December 2005. The smoke from that fire sailed gracefully over our house twice (wind changed) and the smell was not pleasant. There was a layer of ash over my car afterwards. Even got ash on my hands when out walking and going over stiles.

I will be looking out for a good sunset tonight with the camera at the ready.

Cheers

Adrian

I've been stuck in Ireland for 36 yrs. I spose there are worse places to be stranded.................like....................oh no that wouldnt be fair of me.LOL.

Beautiful day here in Stirling. I'll hopefully see a nice sunset tonight. Do feel sorry for all those poor folk stuck in airports.

Living close to Heathrow.... I can be sure of a good nights sleep tonight. Pity the nights are not that long, that there is hazy cloud in the sky..... and the south east has still to be hit by a massive powercut.... otherwise a perfect observing evening.

Bet we'll pay for this with lots of extra flights when the planes return.....

PEterW