Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Volcanic ash cloud over UK

George

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did I read a post that said 'weather's supposed to be good'. . . ?

First the weather report said 'partly cloudy, then it said 'fog' & now there's a bloomin ash cloud... BBC say it's going SE but I'm waiting for ... 'a change in the pressure (blah blah blah) means the cloud is heading straight for ....... :D

When it comes to Volcanic ash, everyone has a different opinion, but for me last years Sarychev SO2 Layers over the U.K. display was one of the most amazing sights I have ever seen.

I took pictures, several of which were used by the media.

Capturing the SO2 layers is tricky, but when seen with the naked eye they are spectactular, talk about end of the world.

Below are some, but they do not do the display any justice at all.

post-17619-133877440305_thumb.jpg

post-17619-133877440308_thumb.jpg

post-17619-133877440314_thumb.jpg

Being stuck in Ireland would be great, pubs, music, stories, Guinness and brillant sunsets over Galway Bay!

The alternative is the sea ferry back to Wales.

Being Irish I am not biased in anyway, just a realist!!!!

I was wondering earlier today where all the ash is likely to settle given that the BBC is trying to compare it to the Buncefield Oil Depot fire in Hemel Hempstead in December 2005. The smoke from that fire sailed gracefully over our house twice (wind changed) and the smell was not pleasant. There was a layer of ash over my car afterwards. Even got ash on my hands when out walking and going over stiles.

I will be looking out for a good sunset tonight with the camera at the ready.

Cheers

Adrian

I hope so....

Already planned my spot for the morning...

It's just so unusual for me to have "blue skies" without a single contrail in sight....

Peter...

Blue Skies - what part of the UK are you lucky enough to be in? Its been grey cloud all day here...:D

Being stuck in Ireland would be great, pubs, music, stories, Guinness and brillant sunsets over Galway Bay!

The alternative is the sea ferry back to Wales.

Being Irish I am not biased in anyway, just a realist!!!!

I was wondering earlier today where all the ash is likely to settle given that the BBC is trying to compare it to the Buncefield Oil Depot fire in Hemel Hempstead in December 2005. The smoke from that fire sailed gracefully over our house twice (wind changed) and the smell was not pleasant. There was a layer of ash over my car afterwards. Even got ash on my hands when out walking and going over stiles.

I will be looking out for a good sunset tonight with the camera at the ready.

Cheers

Adrian

I've been stuck in Ireland for 36 yrs. I spose there are worse places to be stranded.................like....................oh no that wouldnt be fair of me.LOL.

Living close to Heathrow.... I can be sure of a good nights sleep tonight. Pity the nights are not that long, that there is hazy cloud in the sky..... and the south east has still to be hit by a massive powercut.... otherwise a perfect observing evening.

Bet we'll pay for this with lots of extra flights when the planes return.....

PEterW

Archived