sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

The AstroNerd Observatory

AstroNerd

Had my observatory *cough* shed *cough* delivered today.

I plan on detailing the progress and pit-falls of building your own obsy. It's only my point of view and there will be many that disagree and hopefully some that will agree !!

Check phase one out here (it's just the start so not much yet):

Astro Nerd - The AstroNerd Observatory

I'll update as I go along here and on my website, if anyone wants to throw a few ideas in along the way then please do.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Astronerd. My only comment would be that number of sockets proposed be a bit optomistic.

To give you an idea, my observatory has 14 sockets!

Telescope, USB hub, 12v supply, telescope cooling fan, computer, monitor, red light, white light, spot lamp (task light), stereo, clock, homeplug network adaptor, spare socket for external hard disk drive, 1 other spare.

Looks good Astronerd. My only comment would be that number of sockets proposed be a bit optomistic.

To give you an idea, my observatory has 14 sockets!

Telescope, USB hub, 12v supply, telescope cooling fan, computer, monitor, red light, white light, spot lamp (task light), stereo, clock, homeplug network adaptor, spare socket for external hard disk drive, 1 other spare.

...jug, microwave, fridge ;)

Hello Astronerd.

As you have a warm room I assume you're going to be using the obsy for imaging.

A bit of advice.....don't paint the walls black if this is the case. In fact, keep it all white. This way, you won't be banging into things in the dark and you'll be able to find things easily.

Black is great for a visual observatory, but totally unnessesary when imaging.

Also, carpet the floor....it protects things when you drop them and generally makes it more comfortable, and quieter when you move around.

Cheers

Rob

Nice observatory Astronerd! I would second the comments about installing a pier - WELL worth it. And carpeting the floor (I used "non fatigue workshop matting" from machine mart - nice stuff to kneel or sit on and you can bounce eyepieces off it all night!)

Looks good. Will be similar to mine (although only got a concrete base, power cable and network cables laid). I plan to use a 10 x 6 shed (will order this week) and a pier.

Could I ask

where you got the shed from?

How you plan to do the roof ie to slid off the telescope side whilst keeping the warn room cover?

Will be interested to follow your progress

Rob

It's a mad house at the moment with work and having a new bathroom and conservatory so I've not had time to start phase two.... I have a couple of weeks holiday in May so plan I plan on finishing it then.

I'm not installing a pier for the time being as the concrete floor that the observatory is sitting on is not going to be easy to cut through. It's at least 400mm deep.

The warm room will be made using MDF which I can screw in the support beams on the sides, for the roof I'll have to post the pictures when its done as I can't explain that one in words!!!

The shed was bought from a small local company called Discount Sheds in Great Yarmouth, it's made better than any from local DIY shops or the shed companies on-line.

Carpet is a great idea, I'll add that.

I'll also increase the amount of sockets to 12, 6 in each room.

Once I start on the next part; turning into an obsy I will post the details with photos here and my blog.

Thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...

So I'm starting the conversion tomorrow of the pent shed into my obsy at last!

Got all the materials ready to go and plans drawn up (I'll be posting those on my site).

But I have one thing missing.... Black paint !

Does anyone have any ideas on black paint for wood, of course I've seen that you can get proper wood paint in black but the tins are small and expensive.

I have seen masonry paint in black which is cheap as chips, is that OK on wood maybe?

So I broke the back of it today and got the roof sorted!

OMG it was hard getting it back up (came off in two parts), a 9x7ft roof, reinforced on the inside with 4x2s ain't easy !! The wife wasn't overly impressed when I got her to help lift it, but she did amazing to lift it nevertheless.

Below are a couple of photos.

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1038.jpg

I had to raise the casters up and add an extra 4x2 for those to run along. Plus as it's a pent shed I had to put the 4x2s on at an angle so it sat flat once on top.

I was going to have the roof role off forward over the door and use "legs" on wheels to support it. But instead I'm going to role the roof onto the garage roof and create a runner system on that!

I'll be posting more pictures and full commentary on my site once its all done.

Edited by AstroNerd

Oh, you mounted the castors on the shed, not the roof...

I'll have to think about that for a while but seems to be a solution to one of the problems I was pondering about for my own obs....

• 2 months later...

It's completed \o/.... I'm very pleased to have a setup in place now that I can leave out in all weather. It's making life a lot easier and anyone that's thinking of doing it..... Don't think anymore, DO IT !!

Thanks to everyone that answered any questions I had along the way.

You can see all the pictures here

Here's a couple of the end result.

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

Thanks guys...

I'm loving using it at the moment for observing, maybe I'll get some pics towards the end of the year.

Now I've got it, my aim before Christmas is to get one good M31 (with some dust lanes) and some nice close craters of that hunk of rock orbiting us!