Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planisphere Help

Hi Nick, a planisphere is a very basic 'pocket-Stellarium'. You can use it to get a quick idea of what constellations are available to you when you're out, and it's also a great way to learn the sky. Some of them have a few deep sky objects which can be do-able with binos, depending on your sky. I've even used it to find out what time it was when my wristwatch was left at the house (i'm such a geek :D ).

I've even used it to find out what time it was when my wristwatch was left at the house (i'm such a geek :D ).

Wow, I thought I was the only one geeky enough to do that!

Seriously though, I've had mine since 1981 and I still use it to remind myself of faint constellations and to see what's going to be up later.

Nick, you'll probably notice that East and West appear to be reversed... that's because they are if you hold it normally... hold it over your head, put the centre on Polaris, and everything will be the correct way around. This helps find where everything is once you've set the date and time.

depending on the light pollution at your site or how much your night vision has kicked in, the planisphere may show more stars on it than you can actually see - I found this quite confusing at first. It will probably have the brightest start shown as bigger spots on it, you have to try to ignore the smaller stars on it.

Archived