SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Colour Filters

I am thinking of buying some colour filters to help bring out detail on planets etc. I am not sure which colours I shall need. I don't want to buy things I shall not use. Any advice will be welcome.

I am viewing with a 120mm Celestron refractor from a reasonably light poluted suburban site.

A filter to see through clouds would also be good (only joking).

Mike:icon_scratch:

I find colour filters useful for Mars and Saturn. This is roughly what you'll need from the Kodak Wratten series:

Mars:

25 Red - increases contrast between darker and lighter areas

15 yellow - helps id yellow clouds

44a Blue, 47 violet and 58 green - helps detection of white clouds and surface frosts. Makes them brighter

Saturn:

25 Red, 44a Blue - increases contrast between equatorial belts and lighter zones

Certain colour filters do give a BIT more contrast on planet detail for scopes of apeture 90-130mm but they really only come into play on scopes with larger apeture then 130mm.

I have found on both my 90mm and 130mm scopes that a yellow filter helps SLIGHTLY with both Saturn and Jupiter.

The Light Pollution Filter (the cheapest one) stated above really does work wonders for cutting down on light pollution. Also a moon filter is worth every penny.

Archived