Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any Solar imager/viewers - LOOK NOW !!

Nomis

If there are any solar images or viewers out there with clear skies then look now... there is the largest CME on the western edge I've ever seen, blowing out not short of half the suns diameter !!

S.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw it and was about to post a Heads Up - but you beat me too it! Just shown my niece and sister-in-law who are staying with us. Unfortunately no chance to get the camera out - have to go to work.

Helen

That image is of the teeny weeny bit at the base of the ejection. The other bit was the real show stopper.

Soon faded but was just immense! It formed a sort of wide circle which was a good proportion of the angular size of the sun and then began to disperse quickly.

Nomis,

That shot should be nominated for POW!!!

You did well to catch it, I don't think many did.

I'm kicking myself! When I started imaging around 10am I did the usual scan around the edge and obviously found the bright detached area, but using the x2.5 TV the FOV was limited..... it never occured to me that the extent of the CME could be 1/2 a solar diameter away from the edge......

Congratulations on a fine image!!

I'm kicking myself! When I started imaging around 10am I did the usual scan around the edge and obviously found the bright detached area, but using the x2.5 TV the FOV was limited..... it never occured to me that the extent of the CME could be 1/2 a solar diameter away from the edge......

Got an eyepiece? Try using it, I always start with a low power view which would show anything up to at least 1/2 solar radius with the disc centred - & I move the sun around in the FOV to alter the effective tuning as well, this can make proms pop out much clearer when doppler shift is a factor. A quick visual scan an effective way of getting an overview of what there is to image.

Got an eyepiece? Try using it, I always start with a low power view which would show anything up to at least 1/2 solar radius with the disc centred - & I move the sun around in the FOV to alter the effective tuning as well, this can make proms pop out much clearer when doppler shift is a factor. A quick visual scan an effective way of getting an overview of what there is to image.

It's a good point, given that we've all been let down over the past few years by limitless blank discs...now that activity is picking up, I may have to start at F8 and work up to F40-50 from there...of course many H-A owners won't get beyond F10 :-) without the blurry eyed monster kicking in...

Archived