sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Hello from Edinburgh

ixalon

Hello from just outside sunny Edinburgh in East Lothian (just far enough outside to escape the worst of the LP!)

I'm just getting back into astronomy after a very long break. I was pretty into it as a kid and teenager growing up in the Borders (really nice dark skies) but let it slip after moving to the city (apart from a brief stint of Astronomy at uni.)

The stars have aligned - having just moved out of the city, got a new job and watched Wonders of the Solar System, I've got hooked again! The only optics I still have is a pretty ancient scope, so decided to upgrade to a nice second-hand C11 (can't wait!)

One question (maybe best for another post), a friend has offered to loan me some of his equipment to try out - however it's all 2". For the life of me I can't find a 2" visual back for the C11 in the UK. From various posts it seems the best bit of kit is the Astro-Physics Inc. ADASCTLC Astro-Physics Focusers, Adapters and Extensions but is there anywhere I can get this from in the UK, or will it have to be an import?

Many thanks and clear skies!

Ix.

P.S. For any Edinburgers out there; It's such a shame about the state of the City Observatory on Calton Hill. I really hope the council can get its act together to restore the building.

Edited by ixalon

Hello and welcome from South Queensferry. I'm quite jealous of your southern skies, I have several motorways and a brightly lit airport :)

Nice to see WOTSS doing a good job getting people excited about Astronomy

You should get along to one of the open days at the Royal Observatory, they are making some really high end instruments for observatories around the world, it's fascinating stuff!

Hi Euan,

Thanks! South Queensferry was one of the places we considered escaping the city to (lovely place - although didn't consider the light polution situation!) We're quite lucky here - our south-east facing garden has about 2 lines of houses between us and the fields (which eventually, after a few small villages, back up to the Lammermuirs), so get quite dark skies in that direction. Looking North or West is another matter though! Although get a nice glimpse across the Forth to the lighthouse on Inchkeith.

I've not been to the Royal Observatory in ages. I did a year of Astronomy at Ed uni as an 'outside course', so we had a few trips up Blackford Hill. Will definately have to get back there as soon as their public viewings resume.

Hi Ix,

A warm welcome to SGL,

I'm just outside Edinburgh myself in West Lothian. Unfortunately that puts Edinburgh to the South of me so the LP is bad in that direction but I get quite good views in the rest of the sky.

I'm also a member of an active observers group in Central Scotland so if you'd like to do any stargazing with others check out the link in my signature. There are several darksites that we use and it's great to have a chat and check out different scope's and gear etc. :)

Cheers

Hi Steve, Thanks - will definately have to check out CSOG once I'm up and running! (The pics of the hi-tech light polution solution won me over :))

Edited by ixalon

Hi Ix,

I'm also from Edinburgh (just off Leith Walk)! Although the light pollution is a real pain, I'm constantly amazed at what can be seen from my patch here in Leith. (Helped by the fact that a couple of street lights are out! Shhhh, don't tell anyone!)

Anyway, enjoy your dark skies and your new scope when you get it.

All the best.

Carol:)

Hi Carol, thanks! I guess that's one small plus side to the tramworks - with all the street lights they keep knocking out, there's a little less light polution!

Thanks BAZ. My gf is from near Leicester, so have spent quite a bit of time round and about the East Midlands.

Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome.

Brendan, I tried contacting the Astronomical Society of Edinburgh last year after discovering the state of the building (a lot of damage has been caused by people stealing roofing material), offering any help I could give, but didn't get a reply. I'm not sure if they've washed their hands of it and left restoration up to the council. I was tempted to start a campaign to get it restored, but didn't want to step on any toes :)