SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Size of Jupiter? and saturn?

cyroflame

Hey guys, just went onto a website that was recommended for me by another member, it gives you a rough estimate of what objects will look like through your selected telescope and eyepiece (http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm)

However the planets appear to be very small!

can someone please show me what Saturn and Jupiter might actually look like through a scope with magnification of up x130?

many thanks mike.

can someone please show me what Saturn and Jupiter might actually look like through a scope with magnification of up x130?

Small!

Jupiter takes a magnification of about x40 to appear as big as the Moon does to the naked eye. Saturn is pretty much the same size - measured across the rings - the ball is obviously considerably smaller.

Don't forget that there is an illusion which makes things appear smaller when observed in a confined field of view (try looking at the moon through a cardboard tube).

But size (of image) isn't everything - a small but crisp image is preferable to a huge fuzzy one. x20 to x30 per inch of aperture is about as much as is useful, for most people, most of the time.

Just tried it inputting my equipment set up and have to say Saturn looks about right for size to me, Mike. May even be a little optimistic (i.e. my image is a little smaller than the calculater would suggest).

Here is an example of Saturn I captured on April 4th 2010 using my Neximage (same chip as the Toucam Pro) attached to a Celestron CPC925GPS Skywatcher 2x ED barlow and TAL 2X barlow and the resulting image doubled to 200% for comparison:-

post-13640-133877439806_thumb.jpg

Does of course depend on how big your screen is & how far away you are looking at it from.

Saturn is approx. 50 arc secs across the rings. That's 1/4000 radians ... say 1/4200 to make the arithmetic easier. x140 magnification makes it 1/30 ... i.e. 1 inch across viewed from 30 inches distance.

Archived