Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

maximR

14 year old from Malaysia

The title says it all. :)

Just got my first telescope 3 days ago, it's a Skywatcher 70mm Refractor with Altazimuth mount.

I couldn't see a thing when I first started to use it on the 1st day. On the second day, I could see terrestrial objects using lower powered lens. When night arrived and the stars begin to shine, I quickly mounted my telescope and started looking around. I couldn't find any planets, but I sure can see many,many stars that were once too faint for me to notice.

Next aim/goal:

Find any one of the famous planets, galaxy or nebulae.

:p

Hiya,

Welcome to SGL, I am a beginner as well had my telescope but brought it in the winter so did not really use it, now the summer is coming I decided to get it back out, after setting it up and not really knowing what to do, I decided to join this forum, it has helped me allot and know I have learned some new things I can start looking around the sky, this forum will provide you with alot of help so just ask around.

These are a couple of things that I got to help me:

- Binoculars (10x50)

- Star wheel (Planisphere)

- Compass (so I can find which way is north)

- Computer Software called Stellarium (this helps alot)

I also brought a book, has not come yet but it was cheap so I brought it.

The book is "Guide To The Northern Constillations".

There was another book that was mentioned alot, I found this book on the net as an electronic book (PDF) started reading and has helped me allot.

"Turn Left At Orion

Hope this helps.

Hi, and a warm welcome from me too, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi there,

A very warm welcome to SGL.

Big welcome from me too :p

Me to!! :)

I used to have a scope similar to the one you're talking about (I had an AstroMaster 70AZ), and it was great for me as a beginner. I highly reccomend both Stellarium and Turn Left at Orion, the're both great.

Have fun!!

Dave :)

P.S. I'm the same age as you!! :);)

Hi MaximR, Welcome to SGL. What's the weather like where you live?

Hello there

I live at Malaysia, as Malaysia is near the equator, we have an equatorial climate which is hot and humid throughout the year.

Thank you for all your warm greetings ! :D

Me to!! :)

I used to have a scope similar to the one you're talking about (I had an AstroMaster 70AZ), and it was great for me as a beginner. I highly reccomend both Stellarium and Turn Left at Orion, the're both great.

Have fun!!

Dave :D

P.S. I'm the same age as you!! :D;)

I'm really 14, no secrets from me. Wonder what's the wink sign for. :D

Hai ! Welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy it :)

Ive just got a Skywatcher Explorer 200p EQ5 and its a fantastic scope. Skywatchers are great. Hope you enjoy your scope :D You could always try a GoTo package, then they can show you the stars and deep sky objects easier. Im hoping to get one soon :D