Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Jayla

Keeping the spiders at bay..

I'm thinking about getting a shed to keep my astro kit in, so I don't have to keep taking it apart when storing it indoors, which would make me use it more often

I have a big thing against spiders, we already have 1 shed and its infested with huge ones

Is there anything you can do to sheds/observatories to keep them bug-clean inside?

Yes I too had terrible problems with a spider.

It was huge and caused massive diffraction spikes. I would suggest getting one of the thin vein spiders or alternatively buy an optical window to mount the secondary on.

HTH :)

Not a lot basically! But you could try to ensure that as many gaps are closed off as possible - use foam rubber or silicone sealant to seal holes. Paint the thing white inside so you can see them! Keep it very clean and tidy - use the vacum cleaner and a duster regularly. In fact treat it as if it were "indoors" and most of the battle is won!

bug tape works well, put a few strips around the inside perimeter of the shed, upper and lower level.

you will need to swap them after a while, about three times in summer.

Conkers.

Honest, it works.

And no, it is not a question of having a good aim:D.

They don't like them and a few spread out around the place (with special attention to the door ledge) keeps them away in droves.

I speak as an arachnophobe who was extremely skeptical when he was told.

Was given a bag of them, tried it and did not see a spider for months:eek:.

I have also been told that taking a household cleaner that contains lemon, diluting it, and spraying it over the inside surfaces (no, I'm not talking about actually cleaning:D) will keep them at bay, but I do not know if this is true or not.

Thinking is that this is something to do with a chemical that spiders (which 'taste' through their feet) dislike.

I dont know if this would work but it could be fun to try:

Toss a couple of dozen bug bombs into the shed and run for your life.

I store my scopes in my garage in their boxes. I'm sure a few spiders live in there but the boxes are sealed so no suprises for me when i open them. If a spider ever manages to take up residency inside my Dob....................i would buy a new Dob instead of removing the spider......................

That's how afraid of spiders i am.

Although i was in the garden all day today setting up a greenhouse and potting herbs and lettuce etc and a couple of mean looking spiders found their way onto my arms and legs. I just brushed them off and got on with things.

Its the olympic runners that sprint across the carpet while you are watching tv that i REALLY hate.

My shed in the garden also has a wasps nest in it. I have a deathly fear of wasps also and even those big stupid bumble bees.

I'm just not very good with any insect apart from ladybirds.

I have one that lives in my obs PC, it hangs around the graphics card as I've left some of the knockouts off where the PCI slots are :)

I don't get too many thankfully, and they are all quite small. Using a fluffy duster is good if the cobwebs are getting spread across your kit and cables

My better half (the wife, not the LX200) thinks it's hilarous that I volunatrily get out the hoover and feather duster to keep the spiders at bay in the observatory.

As strange as it sounds, Demonperformer is right, conkers do work.

I live in a semi rural area & used to get quite a few spiders in the house, my mum told me about the conkers trick & I just thought she was going senile :)

But I gave it a try & it works great, where we used to get 10 or more spiders a week, now I only see maybe 1 or 2 a month & the best thing...conkers are free (but I'm affraid they are not in season at the moment)

What worked for me is citronella candles, dont light them, rub then around the runners. doors etc. nae spiders and the doors dont squeak ;-)

I used to order Demon WP from an American firm, Bugsaway.com, that worked really well. You have to dilute it in a big tub of water then spray it liberally round the shed (or houese or whatever) while wearing a mask, and it deters spiders for several months at a time. I'm not sure if they're still allowed to import it though as it's been a while since I ordered any. The number of spiders in my shed has decreased rapidly since I started using it a few years ago, so that there are even now only very few there, even though I haven't treated it for a couple of years.

Must see if it's still available...

Demon WP is still available, 4 sachets for $19 plus shipping. Each sachet is enough to treat a very large shed and the effct lasts for ages and ages. One sachet per summer is what I used as there was hardly any spider activity in the winter anyway.

Get yourself some gecco's because they would eat the spiders.

You would have to post annother request after the spiders had been eaten though, asking for info on getting rid of the gecco's.

Some problems are just not winable.

Spiders keep the flies at bay..........

Take the cat in the observatory with you. Our ginger just loves "snacks"!

Vote for conkers as well - you can also get a conker spray - which is far better as more concentrated.

Chris

you can also get a conker spray

We used to inject ours with Araldite - made them las much longer. I once had a 192er.

Vote for conkers as well - you can also get a conker spray - which is far better as more concentrated.

Chris

Conker spray sounds good - presumably available any time of year.

Do you have any details? [eg from where? how much?]

Thanks