Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Zenith 8"Reflector is it any good?

Hi ive been offered a zenith 8" reflector is it any good? can anybody advise me on this one please as i am still quite new. dont worry about the mount i have got a EQ5 so i need to know about the scope.

Thanks for any advise.

Glyn

hi glyn

zenith thats a new one on me, were have you seen it?

difficult to say if its any good , as you probably know there is a lot of rubbish out there. so be carefull until you find out more.

lance

Edited by essex sky

I can not find any information on the Zenith brand of telescopes other than certain astro dealers list them amongst the makes that they sell. Optical Vision is 1 stockist.

Zenith do make high quality microscopes so maybe take that as a sign that the optics in their scope are of a high quality

Edited by insomnia

that sounds promising, should be a good scope:)

just found one on ebay looks like a skywatcher with a r+p focuser.

comes on what they call an eq 4 mount, did note it comes with the dreaded sun filter

when will they stop producing these!!!

Edited by essex sky

Normally when buying a scope its always best to buy a well known brand with a good reputation for producing good scopes- Celestron, Meade, Skywatcher to name just 3.

By the fact that there is no information on the interweb regarding this scope means that it needs to be treated with caution.

If you have a chance to road test it before buying then you will find out if its a dud

Edited by insomnia

Here is the e.bay one I think:

8" Telescope (8 inch, 203mm)-astronomical NEW on eBay (end time 15-Apr-10 15:06:46 BST)

It's the same as most of the scopes advertised on e.bay I'm afraid - lots of things against it:

- no parabolic mirror mentioned - not essential at F/8 but this one is F/3.75 !

- focusser only takes 1.25" eyepieces

- secondary vanes look too thick to me

- I could go on .....

Save your money and go for a decent brand, eg: Skywatcher, Celestron etc.

Edited by John

Lol I like this bit............this is probably one of the best telescope you are ever likely to own.

EQ4 dual purpose Equatorial / Azimuth. This is the top of the range heavy duty unit with precision smooth rotation action

I beg to differ.

Also the box has no makers/brand name.

Edited by insomnia

yes , as you are buying it face to face make sure you get to look through it first. it may be as david said in an earlier reply

a skywatcher or helios under another brand name,

on the ebay one there are a lot of components which are almost

certainly made by synta, who make the skywatcher kit.

but at the end of the day its the optics which count and the only way to be sure is to look through it at night.

lance

Zenith makes high quality microscopes.

That's what I know this brand from. During my student years in Laboratory Technology.

Seeing the cheap rubbish packaging. No brandname anywhere.

I can hardly believe this is an actual Zenith product. Makes no sense to me.

Maybe some chinese "my first sony" copy cat company (ab)using the Zenith brandname or something.

Jer

Edited by JeroKane

Having just read the ad on Ebay, apart from suspicious mispellings, you must admit that it is quite enticing if you didn't know any better !

BUT F3.75 !!:)

You're almost tempted to want to have a looksie thru it :p

I'm only guessing that the pvte sale is probably due to the penny dropping and a desire to recoup some costs- sorry, but I'd suggest you leave it be.

Looks okay tho don't it ??? but then it would.

What I cannot fathom is- for all the effort they go to into making these, why not just put a half decent mirror set in there?

Having just read the ad on Ebay, apart from suspicious mispellings, you must admit that it is quite enticing if you didn't know any better !

BUT F3.75 !!:)

You're almost tempted to want to have a looksie thru it :p

I'm only guessing that the pvte sale is probably due to the penny dropping and a desire to recoup some costs- sorry, but I'd suggest you leave it be.

Looks okay tho don't it ??? but then it would.

What I cannot fathom is- for all the effort they go to into making these, why not just put a half decent mirror set in there?

The seller has more than 10 available. Anyone can buy a job lot of these telescopes from China and have them branded with their own brandname. At the time of posting the seller has already sold 6 so is probably well in profit.

Peter

• 1 year later...
The seller has more than 10 available. Anyone can buy a job lot of these telescopes from China and have them branded with their own brandname. At the time of posting the seller has already sold 6 so is probably well in profit.

Peter

This was a quote from April 2010 and I too just saw this scope on ebay and wondered ... you guys. yet again, turned me away. Incidentally, they still have 'more than 10 available and six sold'

Even though I am a complete idiot when it comes to scopes ... not yet bought my first, I was getting suspicious at the EQ4 mount being 'top of the range' and the comment about 'telescope is probably the most powerful telescope you will find, offered at realistic prices'.

Back to the searching.