Mid longitude - where is it??

Hi all,

I am mulling over the instructions for the Takahashi mount which should be arriving here in just over a week. In order to use the famed polar alignment scope I need to know the mid longitude of the Central European Time Zone (GMT plus 1Hr.) . Incrediblly enough I have so far failed to find out where it is on the net. Any ideas, anyone?

Olly

Cheers gents. The trouble is that the time zone is not defined along lines of longitude for political and practical reasons but maybe the mid point bewtween the lines is still the way to go. All very confusing. Thanks.

Olly

How does that alignment scope work? mid-longitude seems like a funny requirement; as you say, time zones are only roughly related to physical longitude. Surely you'd be most accurate using your actual longitude wouldn't you?

Just interested in how the alignment scope is meant to work really :)

Thanks Tantalus, that's a great link. Very good of you.

Teadwarf, you do need your longitude and that goes into the mount's alignment data, yes. But your offset within the time zone needs to be plugged into the scale on the polar finder reticule. I guess they can't do this via your longitude because not all time zones are goegraphically consistent.

Olly

Hi Olly,

Great instructions aren't they ??

A very nice chap, Hartmut Bornemann, has written a small application called Polar Finder. This works for the EM200. There is another one knocking about that does other Tak mounts. It comes in useful if you ever travel with the mount. ( No thinking :) ). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll try to send it out to you. That's if you want it.

Dave.

If you do I'll have to do it later. Going out right now.

Archived