Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Ben478

First time Beehive Cluster

After observing Saturn tonight I wanted to investigate the fuzzy patch I could see, which was Praesepe according to my planisphere. After checking it out on Wikipedia I now know it to be the Beehive Cluster. It's very pretty but I think I need a lower powered eyepiece to see it better. I used a 25mm on my Skywatcher. :)

nice one Ben

I agree low power is best - either your finder scope of binoculars will show this well. it's not bad in my refractor with the 33mm Swan

Edited by Moonshane

Always greaat to see an object for the first time,Shanes right about using bins,I was using mine tonight after being out last night with my 925 I thought I would give them a whirl earlier whilst checking out Mercury,Venus,Mars and Saturn,what a thrill to see that lot in the sky together.

Clear skies

Alan

Same here!

I was using low power binoculars and had to use averted vis. but it was good all the same.

Rich

It is a nice grouping...Try to find M67 just a bit lower down..A very different sort of cluster...

Mark

The beehive is a stunning first timer - I like to get the whole thing in the fov but with sufficient mag to resolve as many stars as poss - see how many you can count lol :)

I was looking at the Beehive last night. Through binoculars, with Mars just in the FoV it was sepcatular and the contrats between the colours of planet and stars just added to the sense of scale. I used the telescope with a 32mm EP and the effect just wasn't the same. It needs to be seen in context.

Dave

I was looking at it too!!! Very beatufil, and I agree that the 25mm EP is the best for this job!

Dave :)

Edited by DAVPPK

Thanks for your comments everyone! Although I've had an interest in astronomy for years I've only owned a proper telescope since December so everything I see is a 'first' at the moment... which is fantastic! There are sooo many beautiful objects to observe in the sky! :)

PS Mark I'll try M67 next time... thanks!

Edited by Ben478

Using my 5" reflector and 25mm eyepiece, the Beehive cluster looks amazing. I can get most of it in the eyepiece and the other night I had 3/4 Beehive and Mars in the same view...stunning!

Hi Ben, low power is lovely for a nice wide view, but it's also fun to dig in and investigate. Kick up the power a bit... there are several multiple star groups in the Beehive. :D

I was looking at the Beehive last night with the 25 x 100 binos. Mars was just above it and in the same FOV. A truly lovely sight.

I was looking at the Beehive last night with the 25 x 100 binos. Mars was just above it and in the same FOV. A truly lovely sight.

Indeed it was a lovely sight. I was using both my SW 130P and 20X90 bins. Tomorrow night the moon will also be there with Mars and the Beehive.