Narrowband

First time Beehive Cluster

Ben478

After observing Saturn tonight I wanted to investigate the fuzzy patch I could see, which was Praesepe according to my planisphere. After checking it out on Wikipedia I now know it to be the Beehive Cluster. It's very pretty but I think I need a lower powered eyepiece to see it better. I used a 25mm on my Skywatcher. :)

Always greaat to see an object for the first time,Shanes right about using bins,I was using mine tonight after being out last night with my 925 I thought I would give them a whirl earlier whilst checking out Mercury,Venus,Mars and Saturn,what a thrill to see that lot in the sky together.

Clear skies

Alan

I was looking at the Beehive last night. Through binoculars, with Mars just in the FoV it was sepcatular and the contrats between the colours of planet and stars just added to the sense of scale. I used the telescope with a 32mm EP and the effect just wasn't the same. It needs to be seen in context.

Dave

Thanks for your comments everyone! Although I've had an interest in astronomy for years I've only owned a proper telescope since December so everything I see is a 'first' at the moment... which is fantastic! There are sooo many beautiful objects to observe in the sky! :)

PS Mark I'll try M67 next time... thanks!

I was looking at the Beehive last night with the 25 x 100 binos. Mars was just above it and in the same FOV. A truly lovely sight.

Indeed it was a lovely sight. I was using both my SW 130P and 20X90 bins. Tomorrow night the moon will also be there with Mars and the Beehive.

Archived