Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

legion48

Venus and Mercury

1st time for Venus and Mercury for me too! Got a nice view of mercury crescent with my double stacked 2x barlow and 32mm super plossl combo. How come Mercury has phases like the moon what causes this?

Yeah I think that I finally seen Mercury tonight. I don't suppose there;s anything else that bright that I could have mistaken it for. The clouds made it very difficult! No wonder it's called Mercury. You've got to be quick.

I'm trying desperately to catch Mercury. If I understand right, I only have a few days left. Every evening, it's either cloudy or I can't get to a good spot with no trees in the way.

Managed to snap Venus tonight but couldn't find Mercury for love nor money. I know its just to the right of Venus but tonight it was elusive. Must be the evenings getting longer by 4 mins every day.......the sky was brighter then the other evening.

Yeah but what's creating the shadow? :)

The "shadow" is the unlit part of the planet. Just like parts of the moon are unlit at times.

Beautiful drive home last night with mercury an# Venus together. Hardly any clouds so could take more time to appreciative it. Tonights looking good as well so will try and get mercury on the scope. Good luck to everyone else who hasn't seen them.yet.

Mercury starting to slip further away from Venus now. Managed to get them both in my 16x50 binos this evening inbetween clouds. No longer in the same FOV. Still a magical sight :)

First time for me to get Mercury using 7x23 binos.

Clear for about 20 minutes before cloud moved in.

Cheers,

Austin

I saw the pair for the first time this year. In fact the first Mercury sighting for two years! I was well chuffed - looked beautiful alongside Venus. Photos upcoming :p

I showed it to three peope for their first time - nice feeling :)

Andrew

The "shadow" is the unlit part of the planet. Just like parts of the moon are unlit at times.

Yeah I was thinking of an eclipse....I've been doing too much image processing its turning my brain to mush! :)

Hi, Venus and Mercury were awesome last night. It was about 9.30ish that my wife and i saw them, Venus was particularly stunning with Mercury further off to the right.

I too couldnt get them in my bins in the same fov.

Luckily the weather was perfect all day down here in sunny Cornwall. Long may it last.

Al

Hands-up from me as well. I saw Venus and Mercury together for the first time on Saturday night (well, Mercury for the first time ever). Managed to spot Venus and then got the bins out to try and find Mercury. Found it pretty easily really. Got the scope up and running and had a go on Venus (bright full disc) and then Mercury (dimmer but with an obvious crescent). Looked good despite the outlet of a condensing boiler pretty much directly in the way.

Good feeling to have joined the 1% club!

My last view of Mercury was on 12th April at Sterling sevices, where I'd stopped for coffee and fuel on my way up to Aberdeen. I was fortunate enough to have a tremendous sunset and twilight, so I set up the 20x80s in the carpark and watched them as the clouds tried to conceal them.

Since then only Venus has been in the EP, but fatigue and recent windy weather have kept the scopes inside pretty much.

This evening looks likely though.

Mercury is great to see. Bit of nostalgia here, first time I saw it was in 2000 (May?) I believe when there was a fantastic planetary alignment. I could see Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all strung out in a line. Even the moon was there as an added bonus. Didn't have a scope at the time but actually binoculars and the naked eye were the best way to appreciate it. It is what prompted me to buy a telescope.

Anyone have any idea if there is anything similar coming up? I guess it doesn't happen very often

Thanks, will have a look at Stellarium and check it out

In July there should be a similar trail of planets after sunset.

True. The planets are all starting to align and follow each other one by one down behind the sun. Its a planetary traffic jam up there........or it will be.

I'll have some decent EPs ready for the wee skymax on the rig by then, that should help make the most out of my advantagous location.

I'll be using the TAL-1 on them at home I guess, unless I can come up with a real planet killer by then.............