SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kielder Autumn

Dixie

We were all SP novices at one time ! :mad:

If you're taking a lappy ,be sure to screen it with red gel of some sort. Otherwise basically set your camp out,set up your gear/scope mount etc, crack open a beer and take a wander & say hello is the best way I've found !! :D

Simples !!

see you there!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul

I am a Kielder regular and can truthfully say that the starcamp is very informal, great fun and completely inclusive of newbies and "pros" alike. The facilities are not 4 star but the skies are 5 star. There's always loads of people wandering around who will be more than happy to help you in any way and also plenty of scopes available for you to browse around and enjoy the views with.

Go on - you know you want to......

I went to the March Starcamp at Kielder - A friend who was originally going to introduce me to Astronomy could'nt make it and as I had booked I still made the journey. I was armed with good camping gear ....a decent tent.... and a telescope that I had'nt really sussed out. I arrived at kielder and within minutes friendly faces appeared and were very keen to help me on my new venture.

I learned a hell of a lot from my new friends, yes I was green as grass and i do reckon they were laughing at me cos I tried to line my scope up with Betel-something .....i could'nt even say the name......then a kind lady says "it's Beetle Juice"....... the people up there have stacks of time for everyone..... they let you try their scopes.....nowt is a problem for them and sharing knowledge is key to learning....

I learned that you can add whiskey to hot chocolate......i'm saying nothing more on this one......LOL

Go on.....book the start of a fantastic journey....

Lo Paul

You will be pleasantly surprised how welcoming all the people are, everyone has to start somewhere and what better place to start. A campsite in the middle of nowhere filled with astro-geeks who have dragged along thousands and thousands of pounds worth of gear and who are more than happy to talk ad-infinitum about it and demonstrate how it all works to anyone who ventures within a hundred meters of them :)

Equipment wise I would suggest a pair of Wellies and Beer or Lager would stand You in good stead :D

I am really interested in going to this event if there are any spaces left but I am a complete novice so wondered what others who have been could advise.

I do lots of camping (including Scotland at -14) so that aspect is not a problem, just wondering about how novices are viewed by everyone else and if there is anything specific equipment wise I need to know apart from red light rules.

Paul

Hi Paul

If you get the chance you should book. The stars you can see on a good night are unbelievable.

If you want an example of what can be done have a look at this link.

BBC - In pictures: Space as seen from the Kielder Observatory

These were taken at the spring star party and not sure if the guys ever spotted them. They were taken by Steve Devine, Rob Ince and Simon Hicks, and although it says they were done at the observatory, they were I believe taken at the campsite. Hope this helps to make your mind up.

Annie.

Hi Paul

If you get the chance you should book. The stars you can see on a good night are unbelievable.

If you want an example of what can be done have a look at this link.

BBC - In pictures: Space as seen from the Kielder Observatory

These were taken at the spring star party and not sure if the guys ever spotted them. They were taken by Steve Devine, Rob Ince and Simon Hicks, and although it says they were done at the observatory, they were I believe taken at the campsite. Hope this helps to make your mind up.

Annie.

Hi Annie

thanks for the extra persuasion. I have done quite a bit of binocular viewing when on holiday on The Isle of Skye where the skies (no pun intended) are even darker so realise what a treat is in store. Isle of Skye Astronomy

Site is down at the moment but there are some stunning photos on it.

Looks like I had better sort my booking out.

Paul

Hi Rob. Your welcome. We only found the pictures as a colleague of Steve's came across them and e-mailed us.

Nermal - you really should take some more sleeping bags / duvets - and I have come to the conclusion that wearing a balaclava to sleep in is one of the best things to do. As 'an astrowife' I can confirm it gets really cold.

Paul - hope to see you there. It has been a long time since I was last on Skye. I sort of remeber how dark it was, amongst the other student type things we got up to when staying at the nature centre near Kyleakin. Must arrange a return visit sometime.

All the best

Annie

I am really interested in going to this event if there are any spaces left but I am a complete novice so wondered what others who have been could advise.

I do lots of camping (including Scotland at -14) so that aspect is not a problem, just wondering about how novices are viewed by everyone else and if there is anything specific equipment wise I need to know apart from red light rules.

Paul

Treated with respect. Just bring enough money to get the first round in :)

Theres no mobile signal at all (Unless that has changed since spring!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived