Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best nebula filter ( visual ) with 4" APO

Best nebula filter ( visual ) with 4" APO

I'm replacing some 1.25" filters with 2" ones and I'm trying to decide on which 2" nebula filter to get for primarily visual use with a 4" APO refractor. I had the Baader UHC-S in 1.25" and rather than just replace it with with the 2" version I'm looking at alternatives. Dimming is a concern so the Astronomik UHC-E filter looks promising in that respect.

The short list

1. Astronomik UHC-E Filter 2"
  2. Astronomik UHC Filter 2"
  3. Orion Ultrablock Filter 2"
  4. Baader UHC-S L Booster Filter 2"

John

hi John

I am also considering the same thing as I have the scopes listed below and live in quite high LP. I have (I think) come to the conclusion that the Astronomik filters are possibly the best based on what I have read online and will eventually get a 2" UHC and Oiii from that manufacturer. Not cheap though and like hen's teeth used.

I had not considered the UHC-E - does this just have less of the coatings on and therefore let more light through generally?

Another concern for me with the dob is that I mainly use 1.25" eyepieces so will put the 2" filters in the converter. The Radians I use (which I understand incorporate a Barlow) have a longer barrel (i.e. the bit that goes in the scope) than other lenses and it's very tight to the end of the converter so I'll have to be *very* careful the first time I try a lens in the filtered converter! I may even buy a cheapo 2" filter and smash the glass out to move the real filter away slightly (assuming you can stack them like this).

I'll watch this thread with interest.

The Astronomik UHC-E Filter has less contrast than the regular UHC but higher light transmission. They recommend the UHC-E for up to 4" refractors and the UHC for 4" and over refractors, hence the dilemma with a 4". Which way to go?

Re: the longer eyepiece barrel and clearance, I just ordered one of these high 1.25" to 2 " eyepiece adaptors to give me some extra clearance when using 1.25" eyepieces. Quite cheap as well.

http://www.astronomica.co.uk/index.php/Accessories/Adaptors/1.25-inch-to-2-inch-Adapter-Long-Profile.html

John

I use the Astronomik OIII with my 4" Vixen ED and it works superbly. I suspect that the Astronomik filters use better quality optical glass than some other brands judging by the sharpness of star images. For me it's a "one filter solution" being not quite as harsh as the Baader and Celstron OIII's I've used. Stick it on the 31mm Nagler and I can see all of the Veil Nebula in the same field - lovely :(

I think number 3 is the best of the list there, but the Ultrablock would give it a serious run for its money, being about half the price.

I would go with UHC over a broadband UHC - it cuts down more background light and gives a higher contrast view. It will dim the background stars more as well, but will not affect the nubula.

Andrew

I use the Astronomik OIII with my 4" Vixen ED and it works superbly. I suspect that the Astronomik filters use better quality optical glass than some other brands judging by the sharpness of star images. For me it's a "one filter solution" being not quite as harsh as the Baader and Celstron OIII's I've used. Stick it on the 31mm Nagler and I can see all of the Veil Nebula in the same field - lovely :(

OIII's not a bad choice either TBH. Even dimmer and less versatile, but oh, what a view on the right targets! If you want to view the Veil nebula, it's simply the last word. It will work on many targets, just not quite as many as a UHC. And if you want a brighter image, as John says, Astronomik offer one with a reasonable bandpass - the Baader is very dim indeed.

Andrew

Been doing a bit more research and it's now come down to the Astronomik UHC Filter (£164.00) or the Orion Ultrablock Filter (£85.00). The Astronomik is better than the Ultrablock, but at nearly twice the price!

Is the Astronomik worth the extra or would I really notice that much difference?

John

P.S.

I found out that the main difference between the Astronomik UHC and the UHC-E is the quality of the glass used. The coatings are the same quality.

I use the Ultrablock and have no desire to upgrade to Astronomik due to the cost involved. HOWEVER, I haven't used the Astronomik... it is said they have excellent quality glass, but I haven't seen any fault in the Ultrablock.

The Lumicon is also said to be excellent by the way...

Andrew

Archived