Narrowband

Eyepieces for Lunt LS60THa B1200?

michaelmorris

Our local astronomical society are thinking about buying a LS60THa B1200 hydrogen-alpha solar telescope for both private use by members of the society and for public events. We're looking at eyepiece options. We're looking for a pair of relatively high quality eyepieces with a wide field of view and good eye relief. One would be to maximise the area of disc that could be seen and the other for more detailed examination. We're looking at possibly two Televue Radians. I know Lunt sell a zoom eyepiece but I guess this would not give us the maximum FOV/magnifcation.

Does any one know:

1 - What is the maximum apparent field of view that can be achieved with the LS60THa 1200

2- Can anyone recommend any specific eyepieces that would achieve this.

Thanks

With my LS60THa B1200 my favorite eyepiece is a Pentax XF 6.5 to 19.5mm zoom. You can see the whole disk at the 6.5mm setting and views are as sharp and contrasty as a Baader ortho. I replaced a couple of Baader orthos with this zoom as the orthos didn't show any more detail. For night time observing the orthos might be a bit better but for solar use it just seems that this zoom is a perfect match with the ideal range of magnification. Also it's a fairly small and lightweight eyepiece. It's around the £200.00 mark so it would be cheaper than a pair of Radians.

Here's a photo of the Pentax zoom in my Lunt.

John

P.S.

6.5mm is about the most the scope will handle and best overall view is around the 12mm setting unless seeing is exceptionally good.

At the 6.5mm setting the zoom has a 60 degree FOV (same as a Radian) and the sun's disk almost completely fills the view.

I compared Baader Orthos, Naglers and Ethos eyepieces to see which was best and was surprised hat none of the other eyepieces could beat the zoom. I suppose it's a case of the zoom's optical characteristics exactly matching the Lunt.

John

Archived