Astronomy good for Business

lexyastroman

That is an interesting read about astronomy. The brecon beacons are only about an hour drives from me, so I am hoping to get up there sometime this year. The project leader Allan Trow I know from my last astro course I did last year. Very active in the dark skies campaign he is.

I have topped fifty percent occupancy in my small astro business this year, to the absolute and total amazement of the local tourist board. I virtually had to help one member of staff up off the floor when I said I was full in October last year.

The interest is out there. And so it should be; the universe is an interesting place!

Olly

Interesting. I sometimes fly my glider from Talgarth which is just up the road. It's a wonderful site with long ridges and sometimes wave up to high altitude - I have had to move out of the lift at 10kft due to the airway into Cardiff.

I often take the scope and observe after dark as the sky, when clear, is wonderful. This does make for a knackering holiday:flying all day and observing into the night!

Mark

Mark, my part of France is also a huge gliding, hang gliding and paragliding area too. I guess the two activities are likely to go together. The local french tourist board are launching a project on the skies of Provence to push both flying and astronomy on the basis of the sky. They might try something along the same lines in the Beacons, maybe.

Olly

That would be my idea of heaven - both hobbies together and the reliable weather to support it - certainly more so than Brecon! I'd love the views through that 20" - and just been looking at the image on your mount thread, wonderful.

I've been pointing out your place to Mrs GP. We have a 3yr old and a 1yr old so we're taking it easy for the next few years!

Clear skies.

Mark

I guess the figure of 250000 comes from membership to the BAA and SPA which perhaps added up might come to that many?

Out of 70 milion its a shame there are not more.

As i see it, the way to battle light pollution is to get more people interested, as more get involved in astronomy more will see the problems. This with a view to getting them to lobby MP's etc. Though perhaps its more down to local govt now.

i am lobbying our local MP here as i am also active in the CPFdS to see what more we can do locally this end.

The most annoying thing with LP (and i know this is off topic) is we worry so much about saving energy. But ignore one of the most prominent forms.

Was it not a while ago that the globe took it in turns to turn out the light to save energy?

Shame they had to turn them back on.

Yes, nice to hear about Brecon, it is. Master Luke :-)

Unfortunately the total membership of the BAA is about 3600 and the SPA about 3500 with considerable overlap I would think. If we take the circulation figures of AN and S&N at about 30000 each (probably way over the top and again considerable overlap) The estimate of amateur astronomers from those sources is about 45-50 thousand. I have no idea where they would get a figure of 250000 from.

Owen

I've a feeling they've added in a large number to account for those that have expressed a "passing interest" in astronomy - virtually none of whom would be what we would call actively interested.

James

Archived